Mr Ratty strikes again!

• 15 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Mr Ratty strikes again!
« on: December 01, 2009, 13:40 »
I have a huge rat in the garden again. The cats stood watching him and then walked off  ::) I realised when I opened the feed store to find a huge pile of droppings in there that were clearly Mr Ratty poops - I still cant find how he got into the store and no gaps or holes to have come in through. I think this time I may have to resort to a trap for the first time despite having 7 cats who usually do the job for me! Although, he's a very cute little rat when I saw him - am I the only who ends up feeling guilty when they trap them   ??? :lol:

Flowerpower136

Re: Mr Ratty strikes again!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 13:46 »
Yes you are.

I feel a deep sense of satisfaction, and am in a contest with my neighbour re who can trap the most.  Sadly he is winning by a long way, extra annoying because I gave him the corn to bait his traps with.

We've got them in the raised dry stone base of our shed which forms part of the boundary of chuck enclosure.  Blasted things have tunneled into the chucks poo bin aswell.  I've got traps all over the place (safe in boxes) but not having much success.

poppies

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 14:07 »
We have had to start using traps this year as although they are taking the poison they keep on coming , this morning one of the popholes had been gnawed -so tonight he will be getting a little snack of sultana's and chocolate spread.

I dont feel guilty about the rats but did when I found two little mice dround  in a bucket this morning

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 14:31 »
i would shut the 7 cats in the feed store and yell through the door "your not coming out till you've got him" lazy so and so's :lol: :lol: :lol:

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 15:01 »
 :happy: It's not a good sign when the cats can't be asked to go after a rat!  We keep our feed in metal trash cans with metal lids.  It sounds as though you are going to have to go the rat trap route.  If you can't envision it, just remember ~The Plague~.   :mad:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 15:05 »
I think it was just so cold they wanted to go back in the house, and it was feeding time so they were more interested in food bowls than chasing Mr Ratty. I always find if I dont put food out a night for them they hunt so tonight they wont be getting any biscuits down and they can go hunting for me (they have plenty of food in the morning so this isnt being cruel, just gentle encouragement  ;) ).

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 15:10 »
Our bait box came with a poison called eradibait and they don't touch it. Can anyone recommend a poison that they will take as they are now avoiding the snap trap as well?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 15:11 »
Thank goodness we've never had rats (hope it's not famous last words)  we do keep a trap set (in a box) for the mice that live under our shed though.

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 15:54 »
i have had mice and rats under the shed for years, as we have an old watercourse at the bottom of the garden, so have always baited under the shed for years, but have always changed the type of bait twice a year to try to stop them becoming resistant to one strain.

we are on tomcat bait blocks at the moment and they seem to be great.

keep baiting at this time of year when it gets cold as they will move under cover more readily

tomsbirds

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:52 »
Hi I have posted on another thread I beleive it was called "whats digging in" but I had a very severe rat problem when I first took over my allotment.I offered lots of advice as to how I caught loads of the little bu**ers.

scrappydoo

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18 »
 ;) Hi All
       I fink we is posh where we lives ;) cos the rats is very discerning, I is been puttin out a trap we 'as just bought, in the run the last two nights, O.K. I didn't have the baits I'd seen recommended but monday nights menu consisted of "Bread with Choc pudding & custard" & it was still there tuesday morning, Tuesday's evenings menu was fresh uncooked  :blush: chi**en :blush:, & yep it was still there this morning :mad: so tonight I'm gonna try as recommended peanut butter ::) if not it's gonna be a twelve bore sandwich :)

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:13 »
They are rather partial to snickers bars as well. It does take a long time up to a week sometimes for a rat to trust a trap if that makes sense, rats are very clever and suspicious of anything new.
Spotted our first rat tunnel today... >:(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43 »
We have loads of rat tunnels they come in from the fields, the beck and from the bank leading to the road. Have put bait blocks under the feed bins under old heavy wooden boxes and in plastic piping. So far the little b*ggers have eaten through 20 blocks and there is still the odd rat around  :mad:
Have only found one dead one so I am assuming that they are going back to their nests to die - although I do check every morning just in case.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 10:50 »
They are rather partial to snickers bars as well. It does take a long time up to a week sometimes for a rat to trust a trap if that makes sense, rats are very clever and suspicious of anything new.
Spotted our first rat tunnel today... >:(
We seem to have had success with cooked ham and placing the trap in the 'doorway' to the tunnel - well 'A' tunnel - there are several!  Most satisfying finding a full trap or two in the mornings! :)
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 21:17 »
Inject high velocity lead in the head or upper torso and the problem goes away. Then the next one , then the next one and i am sure you will never run out of rats.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

xx
Feeding regime to avoid Ratty?

Started by Mrs.Apron on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 09:35
by Mrs.Apron

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 38 queries.