Prolapse in Laying Hens

• 12 Replies

ilovechickens

Prolapse in Laying Hens
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:56 »
My hen, who is three years old, has a very dirty vent. There's something red hanging out and there are these small 0.5mm long worms as well. I'm worried. After some research we've figured out its Prolapse. I need help on how to cure her. I'm quite easily grossed out but I need to find a way to help my hen ASAP. If anyone can help me out at all in giving instructions and etc.. I would greatly appreciate it.
Going to the vet isn't an option due to time and money.

Thanks in advance :)

mintymoos

Re: Prolapse in Laying Hens
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:06 »
hi, i lost 2 of my ladies, little anconas , a few years ago, both had prolapses, i managed to gently pop them back in myself a couple of times, but as soon as they laid again, out it came, i took them to the vets who said he could put a stitch inside to hold everything in, but chances are when they laid again it would come out, so we made the decision to have them put to sleep. i`m sure someone else on here will be able to help you, hope you can get it sorted out, good luck,
someone keeps stealing time when i`m not looking.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 17:27 »
We've had two this year, one was fixed properly and the other continues to worry because now there is still a little prolapse and this has gone hard with poo coming from the side. As she is eating, no infection and not apparently in any pain the current action is bathing twice a week and application of Savlon around the vent. To the point!
Worth doing a Google search for more information, but this was our action:-
1. clean vent and massage tummy gently.
2. put honey over and around the prolapse. The honey or sugar removes water which reduces the size of the prolapse and is also a bacteriostat.
3. Leave for 15 minutes
4. Using more honey or sugar (and vaseline on your fingers), gently ease the prolapse back into the vent.
5. Keep warm and quiet to get over the shock.
HTH

ilovechickens

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:44 »
thanks mintymoos and ehs284 :)

So far i've pushed the prolapse back in 6 times (twice what happened was that I pushed it it and it came back out). I've tried the honey/sugar method, but what I did was wrong actually! I pushed the prolapse in and then put sugar/honey around and on the vent. I've run out of honey, but I might try the proper method again soon. Because what I'm doing is just cleaning the vent and putting her in a dark dry place to heal. I'm keeping her on maintainance (minimal food+water, enough to allow her to survive).

Let's see how my little darling goes.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:13 »
You need to take action quickly with a prolapse and unless experienced I would reccommend a trip to the vet and not tackling yourself particulary a tricky one, more often than not it is kinder to put a hen out of her misery.

In combination with antibiotics and metacam, I use preparation H (for heamorrhoids) from the chemist and applied twice a day around the vent, and about an inch inside(after cleansing the area)

If you can get hold of metacam from the vet its good stuff to help with inflammation and any discomfort. I would also get a course of Baytril  from the vet to prevent any infection setting.
Bathe with tepid salty water as this will be gentle and will be quite soothing. Keep her in a dark comfy area as this will help switch of her laying hormones. Only offer a small amount of mixed corn but plenty of fluids.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:13 »
You need to get her to a vet. If you dont know how to deal with it properly to prevent her suffering anymore than she already has, then it is your responsibility to get het to some one who can help. The prospect of spending time and money on her should have been a serious consideration before you got animals. Is there someone that can pop her to the vets for you if you dont have time, she really does need to be seen as she will be suffering :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:36 »
Please please get help for your hen, she will be suffering. I know vets can be expensive but your girl deserves to be treated  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:37 »
... or culled  :mad:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 16:06 »
Her insides are hanging out! she needs urgent veteranary treatment or to be put out of her misery if you dont know how to deal with it yourself!

thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 16:20 »

Let's see how my little darling goes.

If she is such a little darling you'll end her obvious suffering.  To prolapse so many times is a very bad sign. 

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 16:34 »
Prep H works well, did with ours, but it went straight back in and stayed in.  I am afraid I would echo Aunt Sally, if you can't get to a vet (and to be fair not all vets are good with hens), you need to think about culling her to save her from pain and possible (probable) infection which will make the whole thing worse.  It is a horrible thing to think about and if our girl had not recovered within a short period of time we would have culled her.  Whatever you do don't leave it too long.  Something to bear in mind, our hen hasn't laid since, some do, but there is always the risk of reoccurrence (sorry about spelling) and also the risk that the other hens will peck at her and that can get really nasty.

I hope she gets better soon and you are able to do the best thing for her.

ehs284

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 19:25 »
Something I forgot, which may be important. I put asprin in her water with a little sugar. Seems to help and also or other potential painful scrapes and bites. Slightly deviating (hope you don't mind); the size of the eggs produced by our warrens is IMHO far too large for such a small bird. I'm sure that this is a problem. Any suggestions? Do some lay smaller eggs (comparison with bird size)?

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 19:41 »
Not an expert, but our warren was laying VERY big eggs when she prolapsed too.  My understanding about warrens (and some other hybrids) is that because they are bred as high yield egg layers after a couple of years (though yours you say is 3) their egg production becomes iratic and they start to have problems with big eggs, soft shells etc.  We have had to increase oyster shell and cod liver oil to maintain egg shell quality.  I don't know that you can do anything to stop them laying such big eggs - but others on here might.  :)

xx
Post Prolapse non laying chicken

Started by louisep on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 11:28
by Jeanette
xx
Hens not laying yet

Started by upert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 21:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How can I tell which hens are laying??

Started by Planner on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 00:28
by woodburner
xx
Why isn't one of my hens laying?

Started by katielou22 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 16:13
by tosca100

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 37 queries.