NO idea whare to start... HELP

• 7 Replies

gizooty

• howdy....
NO idea whare to start... HELP
« on: November 30, 2009, 18:39 »
ok so i got my firls allotment..
its only HALF  plot... but by heck... its huge...

so i have.... 11 beds i think.. its 11 or 9.
i have my shed there already and my umm, scrap heap/compost mound,
behind my shed i have about2foot till the dyke, and there i have put my herbs, well, lavender,mint,lemon and a goosberry bush.
then in front of shed is the beds, there 6ft by 12ft each, with my walkway thats about. 3ft wide.

so what should i do with the beds?
they HAVE been raised but the last dude took the wood...  some have straw on them, but its all messy,,,
im thinking of getting a rotervater, cos its hard work turning trhem over, and getting all the ruddy glass out.. AND im a bit lazy, i admit it...

would you split the beds in half? should i cover them?should i plant anything?
as there very big... im only 23, and a girl, so the easy route is the way for me...
PS how do i add a pic of it?
7 dogs, 4cats, 4hens,2bunnies,1pony and a parrot... AND half a plot.. hehe i think I HAVE LOST the plot..

Christine

Re: NO idea whare to start... HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 19:30 »
If you have glass and rubbish in the beds then you need to dig a bit at a time and clear out the rubbish as you go. Dig the straw in as you go. leave the beds raised and use the bits in between as paths. Just pile the soil back up as it slips off.

You can't plant anything this time of the year but you can take the breaks in the weather to tidy up before the spring planting.

There ain't no lazy way till you have got the basics right.  :)

Cheer up - I'm nearly 64 and female and I can cope with digging and stuff so you'll be alright.  :D

gizooty

• howdy....
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 19:41 »
haha... its the youth of today... HAHAH althou... i have just left the army after 8 yrs,.. so im allowd to be now lazy haha..

yes i have been taking the glass out.. and moving most of the weeds... its just OOOOMG a lot of work.
the gap between each bed is only about 20-30 CM if that... and the end is next to the fence...
just thinking a 12ft bed,,, what do i put in them? haha...
only think i KNOE i want to grow is... tatties,carrots rhubarb and strawberrys.... they are all easy/hardy things.. and im mince... but i suppose we all lern someplace

right???? haha

lisa80

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 20:00 »
just dig a little bit over and clear it each time you go down .wont seem so hard then. in our first year i got one of those little cold frames and set leeks and cabbage and courgette etc is amazing how much i managed to fit in! saves lots of money, i then had plenty of plants ready to go in the allotment once it was cleared ...good luck

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 15:35 »
when i got my first plot last year i rotovated it....blooming biggest mistake ever, looked good for a week or 2 then i had a million more weeds all chopped up and cloned, growing all over. dug it all out on me hands and knees some days, finally i am now on top of it and paln to stay that way.

peterjf

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 16:02 »
hi , welcome ,

it makes no difference if you are male or female ,

you are an allotmenteer , horticulturist lol,

welcome and good luck

gizooty

• howdy....
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 16:08 »
thanks... ok well im uplaoding pics now.. so you van all have a look at it,, and tell me what you would doooo

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 14:46 »
Hi.

I got my allotment last May and I'm still digging out the bindweed and couch grass etc. I decided that I really needed to see something growing while I progressed with the digging, so I dug enough to get some spuds in, then I dug enough to plant beetroot, then onions etc.

OK, at this time of year you don't have that many options but it might not be too late to put down some over-wintering garlic and onions - the varieties to choose are now selling as 'autumn planting'. In fact, I've just discovered that garlic respond well to a period of cold weather (below 10 degrees C). That's one reason why the garlic I planted last June were pathetic.

There are other things that you can plant now.  For example, raspberries and other fruit bushes, strawberries and rhubarb - they're in the garden centres now. I've just finished digging over a patch for rhubarb and I'm preparing the next patch for bare rooted raspies. Then it's blueberries and cranberries in their own ericateous bed. In each case I'm digging weeds that have had the plot to themselves for at least four years, so it's really bad.

So that's what I would suggest - dig a bit, plant a bit, even at this time of year. That way you can see the results of your labour. And the earlier you get things like rhubarb and the various berry plants (which really only start producing good quantities in their second summer/autumn), the sooner you'll get to taste the results.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 14:56 by JohnB47 »

xx
whare can i find a MINI tree?

Started by gizooty on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 14:56
by mickeyboy
clip
Any idea what this is?

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 12:19
by MalcW
clip
Any idea who or what does this?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 28, 2016, 13:50
by bravemurphy
xx
Kale idea

Started by diospyros on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 21, 2013, 18:33
by Gardener and Rabbit

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 36 queries.