Why do chickens sink their head down into their shoulders?

• 11 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Why do chickens sink their head down into their shoulders? (If you know what I mean!)  I have one chicken that has gone  a bit quiet and sinks her head alot of the time.  Is she just feeling the cold more than the others?  Previously she has been badly bullied and I worry. 

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: Why do chickens sink their head down into their shoulders?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:00 »
it is generally a sign that they are not well.  Have you checked her over for lice, are her poos ok?  Is she eating and drinking ok,  if she has been bullied she may not be getting her fair share?
She could also be moulting which makes them a bit under the weather.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:32 by SMD66 »
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:44 »
Thanks for your reply. Her poops have been runny for a long time.  She went to the vet's after the bullying and blood tests found nothing (although she had antibiotics because they thought she had a chest problem).  She isn't very quick to get treats, but generally, it is her that pecks the others when they are eating.  And no lice or feather loss.  Sometimes she seems ok, then she goes quiet.  I will keep an eye on her, unless anybody thinks I should take her to the vets now. 

Big Jen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:09 »
Sometimes when they have had antibiotics it affects their digestive system because good bacteria is killed as well as bad bacteria. As she has the runs, this may be the case with your girl. You could try putting her on something like Avipro plus to help restore the correct balance in her gut. It wouldnt do her any harm anyway.
Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 15:05 »
Nugget is doing this today.  She is standing pretty much still with her head drooped.  Had a little corn when I offered it to her earlier but then walked slowly away to stand quietly.  She did go back into the Eglu earlier so wondered if she might be broody but she isn't showing any signs of this.  She isn't itching, I have also checked her crop which is the same as the other girls.

Can anyone offer any advice?  I have just looked out of the window and she is slowly moving around the garden but is definitely not her normal self.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 16:29 »
I was told that it means they're in pain with something ... having lost Gertrude last week, Yoda is now a little off colour. But no abdominal swelling at with Gertie  :mellow:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 16:56 »
She took herself off to bed early.  Will have to see how she is tomorrow.  The worst thing is that, when we got the chickens, we kind of adopted one each, giving ours its name and stuff.  Nugget is my 12 year old son's chicken so it is upsetting him too.

Guess vets charge for chickens the same as they do when I take my dog.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 17:01 »
My vet charges less for chooks consultation than the cats so hopefully yours will charge less than the dog and if anti-b's etc are needed they shouldnt cost too much. Last vets trip for me was £12.40 for the consultation and enough anti-b's to last a week (they gave me double the amount I needed as well in case I had problems getting it into her).

Keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours, if she isnt eating and drinking I would take her to the vets. Have you checked her crop in the morning to make sure it is empty and also how her breath smells in case there is a problem there? If just today she holds herself funny it could be an off day, but if it persists I would always go down the vet route if I cant identify and treat the problem myself.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 17:05 »
also don't forget to feel under her wing to see if she has a temperature (feel under another hens wing to see if there is any difference).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 18:06 »
Thanks Caralou and Joyfull.  I will try these in the morning.  As I said earlier I felt her crop and then compared to my other two and there wasn't any difference.  Will try under her wing in the morning.  I have a terrible cold at the moment so might not be able to detect nasty smelly breath but I will try.  I will keep you posted on progress.  Fingers crossed everyone please!

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 00:17 »
Just wanted to say good luck, its horrid when you have a sick hen, do let us know how she is, you have had some great advice, I love this site, fingers (and everything else) crossed for Nugget XX

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 19:07 »
Hi everyone,
just to let you know that I took Nugget to the vet this afternoon.  I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with her but she was still sitting in a sad waywth her head on her shoulders.  The vet fees were not too bad, £9.77 for the consultation and about £6 for the antibiotic injection that she had.  The vet wasn't really sure either and did a full check over so we are keeping our fingers crossed that she is ok in the morning.

xx
My chickens got a bald head? Help

Started by shargi59 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 14:24
by shargi59
xx
Can chickens with large combs still sleep with head under wing?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 15:42
by dizzylizzie
xx
How big is a fox's head?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 18:07
by Sassy
xx
bald red head

Started by magiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 22:23
by steelman

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 38 queries.