Brrrrrr! Will my girls get cold?

• 13 Replies

thebumbles

Brrrrrr! Will my girls get cold?
« on: November 29, 2009, 19:08 »
Hi all,

Now we have a cold spell forecast, I am wondering if the girls will be warm enough.  My silkie is now broody after laying for 2 weeks, so has taken up camp in the nest box, she is booted out 2/3 times a day, but hurries back as soon as she can.  One of the other 4 has started laying, so the nest boxes are in use.  The trouble is they all roost at night in the boxes.  Was wondering what you think, as the box is attached to the outside of the house, will they get cold in there with just the thin wood  as a protection from the frost? Was thinking of covering it with a blanket, or am I being a softy ( which I usually am accused of?)
Brrrr

Bigblacktaximan

Re: Brrrrrr! Will my girls get cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 19:50 »
If you buy some of the best cold weather clothing, whats it filled with ?

A : feathers/down

Im sure I have actually felt a difference in temperature when lifting the lid of the coop when all the hens have snuggled up close for warmth

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 20:03 »
Don't worry as long as they are dry and no draughts they will be content. I have a couple of escapee perchering cock birds who climb the trees come bed time and refuse to come down - if they see me coming for them earlier they run like mad knowing I'm trying to trap them  ::) They are coping fine as are sheltered as it's an evergreen they climb into and they cuddle up together thankfully. When I open the coop to the 5 warren girls the heat that comes off them is huge as they snuggle up and they are in a very basic coop so I wouldnt worry about you girls too much :)

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:18 »
i was worried about this but then i thought about all the birds that survive the winter . I dont see many of them having a nice coop with plenty of straw to live in at night unless theres a place i dont know about  :D

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 13:59 »
When it gets realy cold and freezing I put Vasaline on theirr combs ay night as i was told that it helps. Jeanette

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 18:08 »
It suprised me when I picked one of my girls off the fence where she had decided to roost how warm her feet were.  Mine all survived last winter, snow included, with no additional heat, just ,making sure that they were free from drafts and drips and stopping the water from freezing was enough.  I gave them corn last thing in the afternoon as it takes them longer to digest and keeps them warmer over night.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:57 »
Don't know whether it helps or not, but I've been giving mine a couple of bowls of hot mash through the day.

Just mix layers meal with warm water, they love it. 

It's funny because they think they're getting a treat, and its exatly the same stuff their pellets are made of, but warm and mushy, so comfort food.

I also use it in the afternoon to bulk up their corn ration.

We had a very hard frost last night, the first since I've had the girls, and they all look fine and perky this morning, with nothing extra in the coop.

Confession time.........I have knitted a couple of chicken sweaters!  But haven't sewn the buttons on yet, and to be honest, can't really imagine that they could be worn with catching or tangling...... but might dress up Tilly, our still baldy ex batt, if she shows any sign of cold. :wacko:

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:13 »
from all i have read on the site from experienced keepers, all they need is to be kept dry with no draughts, they will look after the cold, and vaseline on their wattles and combs if it turns really cold

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32 »
if you look at the top of the topics on the hen house you will find one that Foxy started about winter care for chooks, hopefully this will help you all look after your girlies during these coming cold months.  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 14:38 »
now we've sorted out the hens, can someone come and keep me warm? :nowink: it's perishing here and i swear it's colder inside the farm house than it is outside, i'm sat with my santa hat on, not because it's nearly Christmas but because my ears are about to drop off from frostbite :wacko:

grumpydad

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 15:57 »
lol......log fire going well, hot drink, and the doors all closed, nice and toasty inside, but the wind is picking up, just put the girls in their run, as rain is forecast and i dont want them getting wet as well as cold

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 16:25 »
lol......log fire going well, hot drink, and the doors all closed, nice and toasty inside, but the wind is picking up, just put the girls in their run, as rain is forecast and i dont want them getting wet as well as cold

you think more of them hens than you do of me :tongue2: :D :D :D

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 17:35 »
My OH and kids say that all the time..... :D :D

grumpydad

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 19:13 »
just had to get up to let the dog out into the cold and wet, going back to the fire with a nice warming drink now, sloe gin, enjoy the evening...

xx
Brrrrrr !

Started by hulgrin on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 15:17
by joyfull
xx
My hen has a cold I think.

Started by tommyb on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 02:40
by Lindeggs
xx
Cold & Wet

Started by stamford on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 15:28
by Roughlee Handled
xx
can a hen get a cold?

Started by coco on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 12:19
by coco

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 38 queries.