Planting Peas on the Shortest Day

• 14 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Planting Peas on the Shortest Day
« on: November 27, 2009, 12:32 »
Does anyone plant peas on the shortest day of the year, coming up in December?  If so, when do you usually harvest your peas and what kind of peas to you plant?  Thanks!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

peterjf

Re: Planting Peas on the Shortest Day
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:43 »
winter growing peas , never heard of them

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 14:54 »
I've planted "Meteor" which is an Autumn/Winter planting variety and because I over-seeded we've had lots of lovely peashoots because they're already 4"high.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 15:35 »
you usually plant them in autumn or spring :unsure:, I've never heard of sowing them in December, surely it will be too cold for them to germinate ::)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 16:31 »
Yes they should have been planted at least a month ago. I did this last year. They grew to about 6" but the winds played havoc with the stems and come the spring they looked a sorry sight. I planted more in the spring (started a gutter in the cold frame) and picked both lots at the same time.
Had the same results with broad bean. I wont bother this year.

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 19:54 »
You don`t really gain anything by sowing peas and beans early. Much better to sow when the ground gas warmed up a bit in spring. :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 21:46 »
you usually plant them in autumn or spring :unsure:, I've never heard of sowing them in December, surely it will be too cold for them to germinate ::)

The mice would enjoy them though!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

noshed

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 22:24 »
I put some Douce Provence in at the start of the month.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 23:19 »
The way I look at it is I had beds empty and I may as well get something in. If these peas are ready at the same time as spring sown ones it doesn't matter! Just one less crop to worry about when planting next year!! ;)

bonfire

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 23:50 »
Some plant garlic on the shortest day.
I p on my compost heap on the shortest day.
but garden peas.........afraid I've never heard of it.
Perhaps it's wishful thinking brought on by daylight deprivation - which certainly affects me - though not as much as it does peas.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 11:05 »
I'v  sown some Felham First in pots at the end of Oct in  the green house to get em going and will plant them out when they are about 2-3 inches.It's just an experement, the grounds empty so what's to lose.I'm new to this game so will try almost anything. Have a go chuck :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 11:58 »
With regard to December peas 'catching up' if they don't germinate because it's too cold most of the seed will rot in the soil, rather than just wait till spring, so rather than waste seed why not just wait a while ::) :)

bonfire

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 14:12 »
Just been (!) to the allotment to bring home chicory for forcing and had a look around at neighbours' overwintering stuff.

Beans look good - a couple of rows of peas are still there but only just and that accords with my experience. My results with overwintering broad beans are bigger better crops from branched plants more or less free of blackfly. I have never had a good crops from overwintering peas - perhaps I got the timing wrong but now I don't do it.

As for planting summer crops on the shortest day - innovation is fine but growing things at the limit of their tolerance often goes wrong and I like gardening with nature on my side. The friend who produces a gnarled yellow wallnut thing which turns out to be a lemon grown mostly outdoors gets his pleasure from the challenge. I prefer the feeling that I am feeding my family - a bit of an illusion but it makes me feel useful!

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 17:53 »
Just been (!) to the allotment to bring home chicory for forcing and had a look around at neighbours' overwintering stuff.

Beans look good - a couple of rows of peas are still there but only just and that accords with my experience. My results with overwintering broad beans are bigger better crops from branched plants more or less free of blackfly. I have never had a good crops from overwintering peas - perhaps I got the timing wrong but now I don't do it.

As for planting summer crops on the shortest day - innovation is fine but growing things at the limit of their tolerance often goes wrong and I like gardening with nature on my side. The friend who produces a gnarled yellow wallnut thing which turns out to be a lemon grown mostly outdoors gets his pleasure from the challenge. I prefer the feeling that I am feeding my family - a bit of an illusion but it makes me feel useful!

In my humble opinion your sentiments are good and your intentions well placed......... Best of luck with the growing for the family!!  ;) and..... keeping nature on your side..

I've been to the plot today and returned with carrots and leeks.....so a good, fresh dinner this evening  :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33 »
Thanks everyone!   :lol:  I think garlic might be a go, but like everything else, I'll have to keep it from the hens.  They think that if it is in the ground it is for them!  So garlic it is!

xx
planting peas

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 13:30
by chili
xx
planting out peas

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 13:39
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Planting out peas.

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 17:45
by green fingers
xx
planting peas now?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 15, 2013, 06:59
by RookieJim

Page created in 1.031 seconds with 38 queries.