First egg - but whose is it?

• 8 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
First egg - but whose is it?
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:45 »
At last I have had my first egg, :D :D :D :D :D found this morning in the nest box a little perfectly formed light brown egg! I'm soooo pleased and my boys will be delighted when they come home from school! But I am not too sure who the clever girl is.... I think it may be my silver laced Wyandotte who is now 25 weeks, or it could be my partridge Pekin who is around 30 weeks (I think)????

What colour eggs do these chickens lay? I understand that you can tell the egg colour from the ear or is it the ear lobe?

I also have a crested Legbar (24wks) who is enormous and looks like she should be laying - but her eggs should be blue/green and another blue laced Wyandotte who's comb is smaller but is about the same age as the other. My Araucana and lemon Pekin are both to young at 21 wks.
P1030160.JPG

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: First egg - but whose is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:47 »
ooooohh your first eggy  :lol:
we now need an eggy picture  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:56 »
Here it is - the next problem will be who gets to eat it!
P1030208.JPG

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:17 »
There's nothing like that first eggy, is there?  It's like a little miracle gift sitting there in the nest for you.  Your kids are going to be so excited!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:39 »
Nothing beats having the first egg and it looks great.

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:20 »
She is keen, I found another egg this morning!  :D
I am fairly certain it is Jen the partridge Pekin. The only thing is the second egg wasn't laid in the newly fluffed up clean nestbox (I'd add some of the guinea pigs straw), no it was on the roosting bars, and the nestbox had been violated by the Hen Solo pooing in it again arrgghhh! :mad:

These are the girls out and about yesterday...
P1030233.JPG

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 11:27 »
Yaaaayyyyyyy!!!! well done that girlie!  :D do any of your girls squat down when you try to stroke them? my welsummer girl (the 1st chick I hatched this year back in May) started squatting about a week ago and she laid her 1st egg 2 days ago (26th) and Bokky also laid her 1st egg on the 26th since she went broody and raised chicks back in August  :D
must be something in the air  :lol: we all shared the frist egg we ever got. we fried it and cut it into 4  :lol: mad i know  :blush:
congratulations!!!!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:36 »
Brilliant eggs all round!!!! :D :D :D :D
I have just been picking them up this morning and none of them squat, I can catch Jen because she is slow! The boys are totally thrilled with the eggs, I poached mine and quartered it on some bread, so we all had some - it was delicious!!!!
What colour will the Wyandottes lay, as I think my Dotty looks ready and Tikka the legbar has big red wattles?
I think the two eggs (light brown) have been Pekin's but what do you think?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 16:59 »
Brilliant eggs all round!!!! :D :D :D :D
I have just been picking them up this morning and none of them squat, I can catch Jen because she is slow! The boys are totally thrilled with the eggs, I poached mine and quartered it on some bread, so we all had some - it was delicious!!!!
What colour will the Wyandottes lay, as I think my Dotty looks ready and Tikka the legbar has big red wattles?
I think the two eggs (light brown) have been Pekin's but what do you think?

all my wyandottes came out of tinted eggs, very pale almost white  :D Ybut then i think the pekins also came out of similar coloured eggs? our araucana came out of a beautiful sky blue egg as did your cream legbar! my silver laced is the same age as yours and she has the brightest red comb of the lot, but my araucana who laid 3 eggs before we went on holiday hasnt laid a thing since! suspect she is waiting for warmer weather now  :lol: I hope I hear that some of my babies have started to lay before Christmas!  :D

Debbie
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 18:06 by chickenlady »

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 29 queries.