Recommendations needed

• 8 Replies

vichope74

Recommendations needed
« on: November 26, 2009, 17:19 »
Hi there was hoping you could give me some good suggestions of hen houses/coops that come with attached runs.  I keep thinking I have found "the one" then when I study the dimensions the runs are way too small.  I would like to have 3 hens only but due to the pine martens need an enclosed space, and no I really cant DIY.  Thanks  :nowink:

treacleminer

Re: Recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 17:34 »
These people are agents for the littleacre products - I have their windsor house and its been very good.  Not cheap but the link is for their secondhand/display models - they near Oban.

http://www.henhouses.co.uk/secondhand.html

Do a good looking large covered run :D

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 18:03 »
i recommend buying coop and run seperately. buy the coop  you want, then buy however many panels you want. They are usually pre-made at 6' x 3' then you can make it to your requirement, enlarge it later if you wish, move it, move the coop seperately within the run. And best of all.... you can walk INTO the run,  be actually in with your girls, rather than throwing food through a doorway. Cleaning out is easier that way too.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 23:23 »
I have just bought the large covered run I think treacleminer may be talking about, not erected yet due to the weather, but it is beautifully made. I chose this one because I have foxes around and wanted the chooks to be safe when I am not around. I am going to add a mesh skirt outside with paving slabs to stop digging.
It is made high enough for me to stand virtually upright and the workmanship is second to none! Hope this helps. ::)

vichope74

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:41 »
Thanks again!  Treacleminer - is the house easy to clean?  So many of them seem fab until I realise I'd have to be Inspector Gadget to be able to eradicate mites etc!!

treacleminer

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 14:18 »
I've always found it reasonably easy to clean but I'm perhaps not as meticulous as some!  I have never had any problem with red mites, I do check the ends of the perch regularly and if there is the smallest sign of mites immediately take action ie. put a fresh coating of diatom around the perch ends, otherwise I just scrub it with a disinfectant once or twice a year.  The pull out droppings tray helps enormously to empty any droppings on a weekly (or so) basis and being off the ground makes life easier too.
The only modification we have made was to add extra weldmesh under the onduline roof as we thought there was a possibility of unwanted visitors getting through the gaps - we don't have pine martens but do have stoats & weasels!

stickywicket

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 18:38 »
I've got a Littleacre Grosvenor.
It is a bit big for my 3 bantams but I like the fact that the floor comes out so it's easy to clean and the food holder is underneath the house so it stays dry. the perch is also removable.
It's got 2 nest boxes which is useful when one of the chooks goes broody.
On the negative side I've had to put a draught excluder on it where the top of the nest box lid meets the house and also water gets in under the back door so I've glued a plastic strip on to stop it. The wood tends to swell up in wet weather so it becomes difficult but not impossible to pull the floor out to clean it.
I've got mine on wheels otherwise it would take 2 people to move it.
On the whole I'm happy with it but would also consider one of the Flytesofancy range.

chooksbury

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 21:57 »
i can't reccommend the Lenham by Forsham strongly enough.  There are several sizes in the series . . but basically they are rock solid, substantial and although they appear expensive in the short term, they will last far longer than other flimsy built ones.  They are designed with both the comfort of the birds in mind, and the ease for the human to clean ! Lenham Lenham Lenham ! ! ! !  (I'd wave a flag if I could !   ;)  ) There are a couple on ebay at the moment .. we have a 503, the smallest one and it houses our three big girls with plenty of room for 3 more !

vichope74

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56 »
Many Thanks again!!

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
question
Recommendations for Scaly leg

Started by Rubyroo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 21:43
by Geo
xx
eBay recommendations

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 21, 2008, 13:04
by rockchicks
xx
Book Recommendations

Started by Milly on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 09:05
by Sassy

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 37 queries.