« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 09:36 »
.Altoghether I caught 157 in a 4 week period  :D

WOW well done!
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

scrappydoo

Re: What's digging it's way in?...
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 10:01 »
I had a rat problem when I first moved onto my allotment,the problem was they were only going into the hens two sheds but could not catch them elsewhere.I got some plastic drainpipe from the local recycling centre and cut it in 3 foot lengths,Put tinfoil on one end with a elastic band round to block the end off,I then put a snapper plastic trap (£19.99 inc postage on ebay) inside the drainpipe with kipper for bait.I caught 70 rats in the first week,with 7 loaded drain pipe traps.Altoghether I caught 157 in a 4 week period  :D

:D Hi tomsbirds
                157 rats :ohmy: O.K. further to my previous input on this topic I guess I was wrong :blush: I'll write out 157 times I must do better ;)!

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

Webby

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 22:59 »
Just a word of warning, it is actually illegal to drown rats (or any other creature) you have to despatch them humanely. If caught drowning them you can be subjected to a fine of £5,000
Always look ahead, there are no regrets in that direction

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 19:00 »
I really do recommend going to the experts.We lost a whole hatching of polands, 9 babies, 7 weeks old to a nasty rat/s in a one night raid. They chewed a perfectly circular hole right through the wooden shed.

Determined to not have that happen again, I nowhave a lovely ratman who comes round once a month, checks everything out and re-baits traps etc. He uses a sort of blue block with a hole through the middle. He threads these on a wire, which sits inside a black box. there is a sort of maze through this box, so no dogs or choox can get round the little corners to the food compartment. Rats and mice can of course, and because this bait cant be carried away (leaving risk of stray bait for others to eat), the rats feel quite safe inside to munch happily away.Mwahahaha).

I do have a look at the traps, as to begin with, I had to thread new blocks every few days, but now we seem to be on top of it. We'll never be totally rid, as we live alongside a brook. But, like red-mite, if you keep on top of it, it doesnt need to become a problem. :)

Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

lightyears

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 12:44 »
Just a word of warning, it is actually illegal to drown rats (or any other creature) you have to despatch them humanely. If caught drowning them you can be subjected to a fine of £5,000

they can bill me that £5000 if they want, drowning them is good if youve left your gun at home like i did the other day. i would not class a rat as a animal that i can pitty for im afraid, just for the willy waving record ive got 17 this winter  :D :D, combo of posion,gun,cage and deep water in the cage

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28 »
Well, finally got around to laying the traps and SUCCESS!  Two traps, two rats in the first night.  OH is a bit disturbed by the fact he has actually killed a living creature bless him, and to be honest the little blighters are kinda cute (not great big black rats these) grey things, thought they were large mice to start with but have googled them and they are definately rats.
Wonder how many more......have re-set the traps already!
:)
Am on the scrounge for a metal filing cabinet for the shed, to keep all our animal feeds in before the rats find the 20kg sacks tho...
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

Rubellite

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34 »

Who actually makes these laws???   ::)

CWatters

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 23:42 »
We're newbies to chickens and had something try to dig under our coop in the first week. I got some chicken wire and pegged down a "skirt" of it about 50cm wide on the ground around the coop. Seems to have stopped whatever it was trying to get in. The wire soon vanished into the ground/grass as it was walked on and is virtually invisible now. This trick normally used to keep wild rabbits out  of gardens - they haven't the brains to dig further away from the fence.

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 08:39 »
:)
Am on the scrounge for a metal filing cabinet for the shed, to keep all our animal feeds in before the rats find the 20kg sacks tho...

You could try an old fridge or freezer - equally effective and what a piece of recycling to boot!! :lol: :lol:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 10:26 »
We're newbies to chickens and had something try to dig under our coop in the first week. I got some chicken wire and pegged down a "skirt" of it about 50cm wide on the ground around the coop. Seems to have stopped whatever it was trying to get in. The wire soon vanished into the ground/grass as it was walked on and is virtually invisible now. This trick normally used to keep wild rabbits out  of gardens - they haven't the brains to dig further away from the fence.
Unfortunately, we would have to put the 'skirt' in a neighbours garden as the little blighters are coming in under the fence.  Caught another last night which is most satisfying, but only a mouse in trap no.2.

At least we are getting sleep at nights now, once the trap is 'full' for the evening there are no more visits until the next night.  Which is a blessing as the critters are running across the back patio and setting off the exterior light!

raeburg

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 17:19 »
The one on out lotties are obviously going for a Darwin award.  They ate the box of rat poison.... before i had chance to refill the bait boxes!

hillfooter

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 20:03 »
Rats are incredibly clever creatures.  We had a large brick built feed room on the end of our garage in which we stored the horses hay and other feed.  One day my wife was surprised to find that a bag of carrots she had bought just a few days previously were all gone.  She was hoping mad thinking that our daughter had been extravagant with them and used them up, but was totally puzzled and not altogether trusting when she denied this.

Anyway a few months later when we had worked our way through a good deal of the hay.  There stored in a void between two bales were the missing carrots all laid end to end in neat rows.  The little devils had laid in a nice winter store .  The only way they could be getting into the room was through the ceiling which was open to the rafters.  After the carrots had gone we suspected rats and had laid poison in pipes.  On emptying a compost bin in the summer we found their nest along with a lot of dried out bodies!

In a way you have to admire their intellegence though we don't welcome their presence.

HF
Truth through science.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 10:59 »
Now you're making me feel guilty..........stop it! :lol:

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 11:04 »
Now you're making me feel guilty..........stop it! :lol:
Nooooo - caught another overnight - am very chuffed :)

CWatters

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 18:09 »
Perhaps try digging a trench and putting some wire in vertically? Not a fun job at this time of year.

xx
digging with my hens

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 17, 2007, 22:19
by SnooziSuzi
xx
digging holes

Started by chicken newby on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 19:55
by littlewitch
xx
Chickens digging huge holes

Started by eggbertina on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 09:10
by Sassy

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.