broad beans when to panic!

• 11 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

broad beans when to panic!
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:55 »
I planted aquadulce about 3 weeks ago and no sign yet. It has been very, very wet as you know! Soil tends to clay but I grew spuds on it last year with lots of composted manure & seaweed, then cleared it all, grew agricultural mustard on it and dug it all in, topped off & dug in more composted manure and planted in that. Are they likely to have rotted, or should I have a furkle?  ???

texas_gardenia

Re: broad beans when to panic!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 14:38 »
Janey.. I don't have any advice for you but I am also having broad bean problems. I thought I'd be able to get out to my allotment but the constant rain has kept the soil mucky-wet.. and I have no paths laid out yet. Sooooo I have no prepared growing area.. but what I do have is 4 pots full of sprouted broad bean plants that I started in the propagator (on the kitchen counter!!) and now don't have anywhere to put. They are growing like weeds!!! Aaaaaaaaah...

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 15:06 »
I would say three weeks is long enough for them to start to show. I have light chalky soil and 90% or more of my broad beans are through. Moisture or mice are your most likely culprits. You could furtle one if you want to be sure, then re-plant now/ spring if necessary.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 15:25 »
I planted 'The Sutton' about 2 or 3 weeks ago on a clay soil and was getting a little worried so had a bit of a furtle and found that the one I dug up had germinated and was sprouting ok, hope it didn't mind the disturbance :mellow:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 17:33 »
Thanks all - not a lot i can do about it anyway - hopefully by the time I get up there they may have sprouted - if not I'll just have to sow again in Spring

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 19:39 »
Mine tallk nearly 4 weeks to appear

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 19:54 »
Planted mine (Aquadulce) in fibre pots in the greenhouse about 3 weeks ago.  Now most are about an inch high and am hoping to put them out in the soil later this week if it dries up a bit.  If it is any consolation those I planted in early spring this year to fill the gaps seemed to catch up the Autumn ones by harvest time in any case.
John

DavidT

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 20:20 »
You don`t really gain anything by sowing seeds in the ground at this time of year. Much better to start them off in pots in January. Saves a lot of heartache. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 20:28 »
You don`t really gain anything by sowing seeds in the ground at this time of year. Much better to start them off in pots in January. Saves a lot of heartache. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

That may be true, but i did it to keep my "old boy" neighbour quiet! "Have you planted your beans yet??" - every time i went up  :D

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 20:33 »
Just tell him no, you are growing them properly. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :tongue2:

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 23:41 »
Your beans will probably be OK. The deeper you plant them the longer they take to emerge. Plant them less than about 3 inches and mice can find them. You do not want them to do much more than just show and unfurl their first leaves before Christmas anyway.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 00:16 »
Planted mine (Aquadulce) in fibre pots in the greenhouse about 3 weeks ago.  Now most are about an inch high and am hoping to put them out in the soil later this week if it dries up a bit.  If it is any consolation those I planted in early spring this year to fill the gaps seemed to catch up the Autumn ones by harvest time in any case.

Couldn't agree more! Last season my neighbour's autumn sown BB, once the wind and weather had got at them, were not as good as my spring planted ones.... (he says modestly but truthfully)  ::)

Despite this I have around 30 aquadulce plants on the plot and looking healthy. (Sown in pots in a cold greenhouse first). So far the foxes have played around them (although they broke the string - again) and the wind hasn't flattened them. They've 2 chances... grow or not.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 36 queries.