Sunday Shocker!

• 27 Replies

goosebusters75

Re: Sunday Shocker!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 21:21 »
Financial consideration is a major one when deciding to get a pet. you have said yourself you get a lot out of them, well you should give them something back and be prepared to look after them when they are too ill to sit on your arm and make you feel better. You have a responsibility to care properly for the birds, and you have to accept that there will be cost involved sometimes.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 21:40 »
Sorry Steve, only caught up with this post again.  Been a bit busy today!  Also sorry I didn't hear the phone yesterday.  spent most of the day in the Garage sorting it out and getting rid of stuff on freecycle!

lthough I agree with GB75 to some extent, a lot of people don't have chickens just as loved pets, they have them to lay eggs and if something happens and the chances are tht chicken will not lay again, or if she will suffer by being put back in the coop with the other girls, surely that is worse than giving her up and maybe having a good life elsewhere?

I have only taken one of our chickens to the vet, and that was in the summer when one of them got a respiratory infection, and was sneezing, and I got her some anti-biotics.  But if any of ours are ill and the prognosis is bad.  then they are put out of their misery.

I sell my eggs (when I've got any!)  I do have  couple of hens who don't lay eggs, but I've grown fond of them.  Like little Rosie, and I only re-homed her because I was so tight on space at the time.

I'm rambling here I know.  But I know Steve thinks a lot of his girlies and he wouldn't have made that decision lightly!

too many girls

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 22:36 »
i have no doubt Steve cares about his birds, if he didn't he wouldn't have taken her there in the first place, what annoys me is i feel he was cheated out of his hen, it doesn't matter if she was for egg production or a pet or if he can afford vets bills or not, they didn't tell him at the time he wouldn't get her back unless he was willing to take her and pay for a vet, she belongs to him and he no longer has her.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 23:27 »
Sorry if I seem a bit dim TMG, but I didn't read in the threads that they wouldn't give Steve his hen back unless he paid the vet bill.  I thought he meant that if he wanted her back, he'd have to take her to the vet himself.

in that case I would agree that its like holding him to ransom, but if the lad shouldn't have taken the hen in, then they should just give her back!  Perhaps I could 'rescue' her!!!!  :D

too many girls

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 06:27 »
you didn't read it wrong, he would have had to pick her up and take her to a vet himself, surely she would already have been seen by a vet by then?

scrappydoo

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 09:33 »
Financial consideration is a major one when deciding to get a pet. you have said yourself you get a lot out of them, well you should give them something back and be prepared to look after them when they are too ill to sit on your arm and make you feel better. You have a responsibility to care properly for the birds, and you have to accept that there will be cost involved sometimes.

A bit aggressive and personal there aren't we goosebusters 75, if you read my threads and saw how I look after my 'pet's' and the £600.00 I spent on vets bills for one in particular... as for my chooks yes they are pets and working animals, but peing practical 'Amber' was in a bad way, took her to a local sanctuary who had the staff to care for her whatever the outcome........
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 22:39 »
 :ohmy: Hi Scrappydoo,
Sadly I have to agree that Goosebuster was rather harsh, it is obvious that you care for all your animals, as I am sure those on this site do, and sometimes it is not possible to "cover all the bases", life happens and circumstances change, I do understand that people are disturbed by what happened to Amber, both the pecking and being held by the centre, however I can also fully understand your view point, and  respect your reasons for not persuing the matter.
I do wish you all the best, and we are now all wiser , thanks for the post.
Good luck Ju XX

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 23:06 »
I think really that if any chicken is taken to a sanctuary for treatment, one should not expect the sanctuary to pay for treatment and then hand the hen back... how pointless would that be!!

If someone wanted to keep their hen, they should fund the treatment themselves.....

This isnt directed at the original poster in any way whatsoever.... I have done a similar thing with a hamster when I just couldnt cope with it anymore :(  But more to highlight the fact that you cant have your cake and eat it when it comes to vet bills or treatment.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 07:51 »
I think the problem here is that the lad who accepted the hen in the sanctury should have pointed this out to Scrappydoo but they didn't. Otherwise he may have taken his girl elsewhere, this was all done whilst his girl was injured and this place was open and closest. He had tried to get help elsewhere and this was the first place that was available at the time. It wasn't done to save money but to ease his girls suffering as quickly as possible.
Staffies are softer than you think.

scrappydoo

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 09:54 »
 :D Hi all
     Thanks for all your comments and advice, I have and will continue to take it all on board (even the one from my mate goosebusters 75  :)), all of this has been a learning curve. But I think we all ought to draw a line under this one if everyone is agreeable.
Many thanks again.

Best Regards

Steve

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 12:31 »
 :) Spot on Joyfull, and well said Scoobydoo XX ;)

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 12:32 »
 ::) what am I like might be good to get peoples name right sorry SCRAPPYDOO XX

scrappydoo

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 13:40 »
::) what am I like might be good to get peoples name right sorry SCRAPPYDOO XX

:D As the saying goes I've been called a lot worse :D

Best Regards

Steve x

xx
Broody due on Sunday :)

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 11:42
by Casey76
question
First ladies arriving Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 09:13
by andreadon
xx
New coop coming on Sunday

Started by eveshamchelle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 23:38
by wildwitchy
xx
My Sunday dinners are coming on well !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 22:59
by Vember

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.