Does the Pecking Order change ?

• 4 Replies

RobinL

Does the Pecking Order change ?
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:20 »
Hi,

Being new to keeping chickens I'm just wondering if the pecking order changes over time.

We've had our 6 POL birds, Black Rock, Light Sussex, Buff Sussex, Speckled Maran and two Bluebells for about 4 months and the Buff Sussex used to be the bottom of the order ( which took a couple of weeks to sort out ) and the Bluebells at the top.

Over the last couple of days, one of the Bluebells seems to be showing the same signs as the Buff used to before the pecking order was sorted. The Bluebell seems to be spending some time in the coop rather than in the run.

It looks ok and will come out with the rest when I wander in with food, but it just seems a little nervous.

Thanks, for any advice in advance.

sallylouise

Re: Does the Pecking Order change ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09 »
Hi there,
I have 3 chickens and my black rock was top hen, however we have just gone through a horrible time where she was being hen pecked by the other 2, I ended up seperating her as she was in a bad way I  have just put her back in the last couple of  weeks and they seem to be a lot better, however as much as I hate to admit it I think it was down to boredom so I have added lots of new things like a straw bale and hanging nuts and seeds stick and it has done the trick as all they want to do is peck at them. I was alos told that if the top hen is ill or has redmite the others will hen peck as they don't want the illness or see it as a parasite. So yes the hen pecking can and does change,
hope this helps you
Sally  :) ;)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 13:47 »
The pecking order does change and there are several reasons, one is illness, so I would check your bluebell thoroughly. Age, as younger pullets reach maturity and come into lay that can change the heirachy, and of course adding a new bird or a cockerel into the flock can cause a few kerfuffels! :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 14:33 »
I have three cats and it changes with them, too ... but I can never work out why!!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:32 »
very difficult to work out at times, we have the top hen, but when she goes in to lay, the others that are left have worked out a different pecking order whist she is not there, with one of the smaller bantams being higher than when she is out, very odd to understand, but they are happy with it so i leave them to it.

xx
Pecking order - does it change as birds come into lay?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 06:08
by Ben_H
xx
Top of the pecking order?

Started by Elly on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 15:42
by Elly
xx
Pecking order.

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 10:05
by shiatsusu
xx
Pecking order...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 15:57
by mickwood

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 36 queries.