Hooligan's

• 3 Replies

MoreWhisky

Hooligan's
« on: November 21, 2009, 17:10 »
Hello. Urgent help needed cooking those small lovely coloured hooligan squashes.

Ive never cooked them before and have the mother in law round so need help urgently.

I also dont have an microwave so they have to go in the oven.

Also which way do i cut them as they a funny shape and would roll around on a oven tray?

I looking forward to tasting these tho  :D

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Hooligan's
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 17:36 »
Any squash can be done the same way:

you can skin it and bake it alongside meat or other veg (about 45 mins to an hour I do for mine)
cook it in wedges in its skin and scoop it out when you eat it (time as above)

normally you can stuff squashes too but if they are rolly ones it might not be a good idea ... unless you make little stands out of crupmpled foil to hold them up of course, in a ring around the base.

Hope that helps  :)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MoreWhisky

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 18:24 »
Ah thanks for the crumpled foil tip sunshineband.

Couldn find a recipe for these things and they needed to go in oven so heres how i have done them , hopefully they be ok as got the mother in law round for tea.

I cut them i half and scooped seeds out, then brushed with olive oil and seasoned. then put about half inch of boiling water in oven dish put the squashes in and covered with foil. then in the oven (where they are now) . im hoping the foil and water will keep them from drying out.

Im actually not sure if need the covering in foil , can always remove it if?????

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 18:26 »
I don't cover mine with foil because I like the slightly caremelised edges, but it will cook fine like this.

Some squashes are harder than others so I always poke a sharp knife in it to check it is really 'done'  :)

Hope it's yummy  :D

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 36 queries.