Help on my onions please

• 12 Replies

prakash_mib

Help on my onions please
« on: November 20, 2009, 17:34 »
When I visited my patch i found that weeds are growing between the onions. they are so small and some grass is also popping out (quite dense)

when i tried to pluck them with hand I sank the soil and created a huge holes. Dont know what to do. help please
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 17:36 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

madcat

Re: Help on my onions please
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 17:41 »
Do you have a nice sharp hoe?  Careful (oh yes, I have hoe'd up my nice row of parsnip before now!   :() hoeing between the rows will chop the tops off the weeds and set the new grass back before it has chance to get established.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 17:44 »
Hoeing is right but it looks very soggy there - wait until you've a much drier day and the soil is less muddy.  You'll only damage the soil structure if you continue to go onto it in that state, and I find that hoeing doesn't work well if it's that wet anyway.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 19:53 »
I've just been given a long handled "cultivator" which has 3 prongs and works a treat at disturbing weeds, but I would leave it til the earth is dryer.
Slightly off topic.....I've  just put my onion sets in on top of the earth in shallow depressions. I assume you've grown from seed. If so they're doing well, aren't they?

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 21:44 »
They are from sets. Am gobsmacked by them because this is my first lot and have been doing allotment for just over six months. Will try the three  prongs after the rain.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 23:34 »
The weeds are still so tiny you can leave them for a bit.....makes it easier to get them out!

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:56 »
This is one of the downsides of planting onions in the Autumn. I think you will have to wait until the Spring for the soil to dry out enough to hoe. Little point in trying before then, the weeds will do no harm.

SG6

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 14:19 »
I would leave them until drier, then use your hands just to disturb the surface and weeds. That should leave a lt of weeds with their roots out of the ground. Do it sort of weekly and any that get too big can simply be pulled.

Just makes it easier not to damage the onions, Once the onions are high enough maybe a light mulch around them.

sion01

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 17:58 »
I have a little tool :( for cleaning between patio slabs but it also doubles up as a handheld hoe for really close precise work.It just might fit the bill.I think its called a patio weeder.Good luck

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 18:06 »
You'll need good luck I reckon to avoid back ache here  :ohmy:

When it's drier of course  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

prakash_mib

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 22:30 »
Fantastic day today and worked through the weeds a bit. Now a question.
I planted yellow ones i think they were shenzui (spelling) and red variety (the name I cant remember). The yellow ones are having a good stalks (about 5-6 mm diameter) but the red ones are weaker when compared to the yellow ones (2-3 mm diameter). I havent added any fertilizers as yet and waiting for a bit higher temperature to activate a good growth.
Any advice on what i should be doing now please!!

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 23:34 »
Waiting quietly for Spring to arrive!

zazen999

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:13 »
Pick out any bigger weeds and leave them be.

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 36 queries.