Medlars

• 4 Replies

harvestmoon

Medlars
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:08 »
I have managed to source a supply of MEDLARS.
If you don't know about them, can I suggest this site http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Nigel-Slater  . (Search medlars)
If you do Know about them HELP!
I can only find two recipes (for medlar jelly and medlar cheese) But any other recipes, or indeed variations on the two mentioned will be very welcome.
In anticipation
Thanks
Harvestmoon

matilda duck

Re: Medlars
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 22:12 »
Apparently they are an old fruit and you use them when they are vertually rotten!  They were used for jams I believe!   Someone will now come along and tell me I'm completly wrong :lol:

madcat

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 22:52 »
You are absolutely right - except rotten has the posh name of 'bletted'!   :blink:

I found this for what is called Medlar Fudge -- although it isn't fudge as I would know it.

1kg medlars
1 large or 2 small lemons
3 cloves
600ml apple cider
approx 1kg light brown sugar
honey or maple syrup to taste
cream and macaroons to serve

Wash and chop the fruit, add the cloves and cider and simmer until the fruit is soft.  Sieve and weigh the pulp.  Add three quarters of its weight in sugar and bring back to the boil then bottle and seal.  When required, whip the fruit cheese with honey or maple syrup till soft, spoon into bowls and top with whipped cream and broken macaroons.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

titch

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 00:12 »
#Hugh fearnley did something with them on his show - but cant remember if it twas this week or last......sorry not much help but you could try googling hugh fw medlars and see what happens
just keep breathing................

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 22:21 »
I was hanging out for some this year.
  A customer of mine was saying earlier in the year that his wife makes medlar jam and asked if I had heard of them.
 He said he is too old to get them out the garden and it's shame to see them go to waste.
 I gave him my card, and he said he would call me when they were ripe and I could take as many as I wanted :D
Unfortunatley I think he's forgot, nevermind :(
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

xx
Medlars - any experts?

Started by Maryann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 12:48
by Maryann

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 37 queries.