heated propagators question ?

• 31 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: heated propagators question ?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 17:06 »
I do like Ivah - and I don't see it as a lot of work, but maybe I'm missing something - or under-estimating " a lot of work"? :)

I grow everything (pretty much) in pots, then plant out.

I don't need a lot of each batch - 3 or 4 lettuces twice a month is plenty, ditto for Cauliflowers and so on.

I sow a few seeds twice a month, using 1/4 size seed trays, usually with 3 varieties per tray. I reuse the little trays / seed sowing compost all season, just soak them, let them drain, and then sow some more. Reusing the same trays for the same seeds would mean that any late germinating seeds were for the veg you were expecting! I have a list of things that germinate at the same speed because it is hard to prick out if one part of the tray isn't ready ...

I prick-out into pots when seedlings big enough, and plant out when plants are big enough. Its probably about 20 - 40 plants in each batch (allowing for some things like Sweet corn and beans where more are required).

Some things I put more than one per pot.  Beans get 2-per-pot (rather than using smaller modules and putting two plants per cane :) ) and beetroot get 3 per pot, around the edge, and two are pulled "young" to allow the third to mature. Ditto carrots (but I sow them direct into Richy's Paper Pots along with anything else that doesn't like being transplanted

I have pot-holders that hold 20 x 3" / 3.5" pots.  Makes the whole thing easy being able to pick up 20 plantlets at a time :) You do need a bit of some space though,a nd a greenhouse / conservatory.

I get nice sturdy plants when I plant them out - rather than sowing direct where the little seedlings are munched by bugs before they get big enough to have some ability to survive.  We have heavy clay soil, so growing plants helps as seed drills are very hit & miss. Plus I only have a few of each type of plant.  A long row of cauliflowers is no used to me, they'll all be overblown inside a fortnight (I could freeze them, but we grow mostly for in-season-dining, and freezing requires quite a lot of work).

I grow in 3" pots for things that will be potted on (Tomato / Cucumber etc. that don't get planted out until they are in 6" or large pots) and 3.5" pots for anything going straight into the ground. That gives me a little bit more leeway in case I'm busy when they are ready to plant out, or the weather is bad.  With 3" pots I find once they have got to planting out size the plant quickly starts drying out, needing feeding, struggling ...

But do please tell me if you think I'm mad!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 20:31 »
OK you're mad :lol: :lol: and I like Ivah as well he's  8)

Actually it makes a lot of sense.... especially for small beds densely planted, as when the spaces  appear  you have a plant waiting to go in it..perhaps i will try to be a bit more organised next year 8) ( I did say try didn't i ?  :tongue2: )

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 00:41 »
Some great advice and time tips are really useful - thanks.

Cucumbers? We always find if they are grown too early they suffer from cold nights and becoming floppy  :( Starting them off later seems to have better results in the long run.

Any advice here, please?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 03:52 »
I use four seed-trays wort of heated propagators (a double and two singles) and in January the only thing that will be in them is onions..... I don't use sets much at all (have a few overwintering ones in ATM).... you'd need a heated GH to be starting cucumbers and tomartos off that early, in an unheated (or just frost-free) house then you can't really be putting them out till April so mid February for Toms and late Feb/early March for the cukes.... You could use them to get hardy veg started off early... My onions are followed by generally two rounds of hardies trhat go propagator for two weeks, GH for 2-3, harden off and outside by mid March..... onions/shallots, hardies (beets, the first salads, cabbages sprouts and caulis, carrots and parsnips etc) tender indoor (toms, peppers, aubergines) then tender outdoor (squashes, gherkins, sweetcorn etc).....

chrisc

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 19:48 »
"Cucumbers?"

Got to keep them warm. Minimum night temperature is the thing. I put mine in one of those zip-up plastic mini-greenhouses which itself is inside my (cold) conservatory; I put a light bulb in the bottom to add a little extra heat. If the night looks like being too cold I bring them into the utility corridor (which is also cold, but not freezing!) as they don't need light at night :)

Don't let their basal stems get wet - they are very prone to rot :(

I keep Cucumbers at a minimum of 15C (and Tomatoes at a Min of 10C)

ROYAL=BD=

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 21:48 »
"  I put mine in one of those zip-up plastic mini-greenhouses"
 what a great idea kristen.... i am learning by the day  :)
thanks all  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 21:57 »
Cucumbers?

Thanks for the tips - problem is my 94 yr old dad is always so keen to get going with the next growing season there's often no holding him back from sowing too early. His greenhouse is on the side of the bungalow - lovely and warm when the sun is on it but chilly early spring nights do the damage.

I've persuaded him to stick to putting in sweet-peas for now....  ;)

madcat

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 08:44 »
Can't blame him for thinking that he has to get on ... 

Bubble wrap inside the greenhouse might stop disasters from the chilly nights.  The extra insulation ...?   ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Leedsniner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 09:35 »
If you make a plan, keep detailed notes & do a little bit every day then you can get a lot more done than you think.

Elcie

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 13:07 »
"  I put mine in one of those zip-up plastic mini-greenhouses"
 what a great idea kristen.... i am learning by the day  :)
thanks all  ;)

That reminds me I want to get one of those!  Will put it inside my unheated greenhouse to give a bit of extra warmth to things like cucumbers, thanks!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 07:32 »

i use mine every year in begining of january to sow early toms and my cuccumbers i also start of other seeds in them melons and peppers also others to get them to a good early start i find them very good over several years ive been using them

Just to re-visit this one, I came across it whilst doing research for a "Sticky" I'm doing in GYO. One point no one has picked up on is "goodegg's" location.

I'll think you'll find the climate in Guernsey is a little milder than the rest of the UK and checking the sunrise & sunset times, even at this time of year has half an hour more daylight than myself.

Hence they are more likely to get away with a very early sowing in the Channel Isles, I'm weeks behind my climate catching up with how their's is at this time.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 19:57 »

i use mine every year in begining of january to sow early toms and my cuccumbers i also start of other seeds in them melons and peppers also others to get them to a good early start i find them very good over several years ive been using them

Just to re-visit this one, I came across it whilst doing research for a "Sticky" I'm doing in GYO. One point no one has picked up on is "goodegg's" location.

I'll think you'll find the climate in Guernsey is a little milder than the rest of the UK and checking the sunrise & sunset times, even at this time of year has half an hour more daylight than myself.

Hence they are more likely to get away with a very early sowing in the Channel Isles, I'm weeks behind my climate catching up with how their's is at this time.

You means there's no snow in Guernsey! That's just so unfair.... poor things!  ;)

Fisherman

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 16:30 »
Hi
Best thing I ever did making a home made propagator in the cold greenhouse and not too much to them either. I even extended it last year to 12' x 3' (300 watt) so that I can grow more stuff early in the year. The benefits are: - excellent seed germination, and early / late salad crops. Apart from the crops that dont like transplanting or the ones that dont like heat I use the propagator for everything because of the great germination rates. I also grow a few crops in grow bags on the propagator if I have space such as courgettes which are ready at least a 4 to 6 weeks before the ones planted outside. The salad crops are grown in gutter trays and cut young i.e. spinach, lettuce, pak choy, cut and come again lettuce, mixed salad etc.

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 00:06 »
Hi
Best thing I ever did making a home made propagator in the cold greenhouse and not too much to them either. I even extended it last year to 12' x 3' (300 watt) so that I can grow more stuff early in the year. The benefits are: - excellent seed germination, and early / late salad crops. Apart from the crops that dont like transplanting or the ones that dont like heat I use the propagator for everything because of the great germination rates. I also grow a few crops in grow bags on the propagator if I have space such as courgettes which are ready at least a 4 to 6 weeks before the ones planted outside. The salad crops are grown in gutter trays and cut young i.e. spinach, lettuce, pak choy, cut and come again lettuce, mixed salad etc.

Sounds good but do you have a thermostat?
300w 24 hours a day is costly running.  :(

Fisherman

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 05:33 »
I have it split into 4 propagating beds each of which is about 1 Mt. square and have 2 thermostats controlling 2 beds each. Each bed can be switched off individually in order to save power if they are not needed. If all beds were to be on permanently it would cost about £0.70 per day assuming the tariff rate is about £0.10 per KW. I am not sure what the actual tariff is so the costs might be slightly different. Due to the thermostat controls and switching beds on and off I estimate it will cost about £0.20 - £0.30 per day over the course of the season. The salad crops alone pay for this.

xx
Heated propagators in a cold greenhouse..question

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 19:45
by sunshineband
xx
Heated Propagators

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 21:07
by dugless
xx
Heated propagators

Started by Top Cat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 21:25
by Diggerpete
xx
heated propagators or non heated propagators

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 15:07
by Shop Keep

Page created in 1.036 seconds with 41 queries.