I'm a Mommy!

• 4 Replies

Midwife

• Experienced Member
I'm a Mommy!
« on: May 14, 2007, 07:24 »
Hurrah, two little one's hatched so far this morning! Each one under seperate broodies. Third broodie banned as she scattered her eggs around yesterday, cracking two and the cockerel stood on one killing the chick inside :( .
Anyway, what do I do now? Is it safe for me to keep checking today to see if more have hatched? My girls are not aggressive with me at all and have let me look and remove the left over egg shell. Any little gems  I should and should'nt do?
Proud to be a 100% qualified, caring, encouraging, one more push, reassuring Midwife!

The Chicken Lady

I'm a Mommy!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:49 »
Congratulations :D  :D  :D  :D I understand that you want to keep going to have a look. Best leave them if you can. She will proberbly keep them in the nest for a couple of days and then bring them out to eat and drink. Ensure the chicks can't drown in water - shallow drinker. Supply chick crumbs for when they are ready to eat. Mine are due about Wednesday Thursday - Fingers crossed :)

The Chicken Lady

I'm a Mommy!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:06 »
Are all your birds together? If they are you may find that mums attack chicks that are not hers. Also the cockerel may kill the chicks. :cry:

Midwife

• Experienced Member
I'm a Mommy!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 09:40 »
At the moment they are. :?  I came back from my hols to find three broodies all together. I am going to seperate them today. The cockerel and other hen are locked out now.  the chicks are very cute :lol: Good luck with your expected delivery.

Midwife

• Experienced Member
I'm a Mommy!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:42 »
Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this!

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.