Soggy looking chucks - advice needed!

• 2 Replies

tomtoby

« on: May 13, 2007, 21:13 »
Hi
Being new to chucks we didn't put a roof on our outdoor run - the 7 of them have the play house for rainy times - we fingured they'd just go in!!  But came home today after our first downpour (we've had them 5 weeks or  so) to find very bedraggled chucks particularly the 2 cream legbars - their feathers look dreadful - they will recover won't they???  :(   Why do they look so much worst than the spekeldys, bovans and white star??  They may have decided to talk a dust bath in the mud - we've been thinking they are a little less bright than the others  :?

We're going to try and provide a bit of cover outside for them with some kind of low roof area within the run (it's 3.5x5m so we can't roof it all) and I guess we'll put some bark chippings down for their feet - hubby was thinking about straw but I reckoned it won't last 5 minutes - any thoughts from the pros?  Hemcore sounds nice but outside our budget i'm afraid.
Thanks for any thoughts
Tom

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 21:23 »
Bark is a good choice.  The bigger the lumps the better,  I use play bark.  The finer stuff goes "mushy" more quickly.

I use Hemcore in their little house and even in their nest box.  It's brilliant stuff.  Deoderizes their poos a treat.  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 22:11 »
My lot get bare earth out side and I occasionally throw a bag of bark chippings in or they love half a bag of sand!. But my run is covered, as I soon discovered there to thick to go in if it rains  :D

Inside it's straw and shavings piled 6" deep and left till it's been broken right down by their constant scratching. But I do have a droppings board to catch the nightly poo, so the straw/shavings don't get to messy.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Help needed with Chucks

Started by whippet3 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 18:57
by joyfull
xx
HELP! Advice on how to stop chucks being broody

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 10:18
by raeburg
xx
silkies - advice please about keeping these fluffy chucks

Started by AnnaMid on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 23, 2015, 20:39
by AnnaMid
question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy

Page created in 2.246 seconds with 36 queries.