raspberry root barrier?

• 20 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
raspberry root barrier?
« on: November 10, 2009, 16:15 »
I have to move my raspberries into a narrow area near to raised beds and want to stop them escaping into the beds.

How deep do you think the barrier needs to be? I thought that maybe I could plant them into open bottomed tubs about 18in deep, sunk into the soil the same as you can do with mint...do you think this would work?

Any other ideas for containing the rootrun?

gypsy

Re: raspberry root barrier?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 16:22 »
Our previous next door neighbour grew raspberries many years ago,we have been told that he neglected them for a long time when become elderly. We have lived at this house 5 yrs and never knew him but his raspberries still come up in our borders and the edge of our lawn. So it seems to me that they may be hard to tame. CC
Catherine

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 16:32 »
How deep do you think the barrier needs to be? I thought that maybe I could plant them into open bottomed tubs about 18in deep, sunk into the soil the same as you can do with mint...do you think this would work?

I think 18" should do the job depth-wise, but reckon the tubs would need to be quite wide to avoid the roots becoming congested (mint refuses to abandon its rampant habits even when confined to a small container and I would be concerned that raspberries might behave the same).
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

penance

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 16:41 »
I would use a heavy duty plastic sheet, like a ground sheet and use that to line the area being used for the rasps. Also go down around 2foot to be safe.

I imagine the issue with mint is the runners rooting, not the roots themselves escaping the confines of a pot.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 16:58 »
I imagine the issue with mint is the runners rooting, not the roots themselves escaping the confines of a pot.

Mint confined to a pot does not escape but in my experience becomes a congested mass of roots which is to the detriment of future growth (have to re-pot mine every year)

tode

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 17:49 »
The "runners" on my rasps are very shallow: only about 4 - 5 inches.  I would think that 1 foot should be sufficient.
But IMO you should use something stronger than plastic sheet.  Underground shoots can be incredibly strong (am thinking of the dandelions that can pierce pavement). 
Corrugated iron ?

penance

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 18:44 »
tode, not so.
Comercial root barriers are just heavy duty plastic sheet.

It does not need to be strong but inpermeable. Roots will not force thru a solid but will find very small holes in a permeable substance.

Corrugated iron would be fairly pointless as it will rust very quick.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 18:57 »
I have a new row of Autumn Bliss and was pondering this same question. My cunning plan is to put boards round, like a raised bed, with a sheet of pond liner going deeper to restrict the runners. The boards will allow me to mulch them.

Carol Klein planted some on Gardeners World. She surrounded them with overlapping house slates, which is apparently the traditional way to do it.

From what I have seen the runners are usually no more than 6 inches deep so, as tode says, a foot deep should be OK. If the occasional one escapes it can be dealt with.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 18:59 »
I saw someone use paving slabs sunk vertically into the ground for the same reason, seemed to work OK
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 19:21 »
Righty o...thick guage placcy it is then............

Cheers m'dears for the advice :)

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 20:40 »
I have a new row of Autumn Bliss and was pondering this same question. My cunning plan is to put boards round, like a raised bed, with a sheet of pond liner going deeper to restrict the runners. The boards will allow me to mulch them.

Carol Klein planted some on Gardeners World. She surrounded them with overlapping house slates, which is apparently the traditional way to do it.

From what I have seen the runners are usually no more than 6 inches deep so, as tode says, a foot deep should be OK. If the occasional one escapes it can be dealt with.

i line my raised bed boards with overlapping slates - didn't know it was traditional! Anyway I set up my raspberry bed 4 years ago. Slates and boards dont stop the roots spreading.

Planning to move the rasps in the spring to a new bed set in grass so that I can just mow down the escapees.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 20:54 »
Hi, rasps are shallow rooted so you don't have to go too deep but don't hem them in too much they like to spread a little.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 20:44 »
2yrs ago a local guy gave me some corrogated sheeting 18-20 inch deep..4-6foot lenghts..
bright idea!!...dug them in ..so only the last inch or showed above ground level...on my then recently planted Rspberry bed.....

Guess what?

No they haven't started growing under the sheeting.........

OH! NO!....

They gone backwards into me Path!!!! >:( :(

whitehartlottie

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:07 »
I am planning to put a paving stone path next to my rasp's (18" slabs) to hopefully deter runners popping up. I plan to put my asparagus bed next to it so really don't want the runners disturbing them, may try some plastic as well to be safe.

Does anyone know how much space I need to leave for the raspberry row in terms of width, was thinking of 18" (roughtly half a meter) ...it will be a single row of summer fruiting with single post support system.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 15:57 »
I am planning to put a paving stone path next to my rasp's (18" slabs) to hopefully deter runners popping up. I plan to put my asparagus bed next to it so really don't want the runners disturbing them, may try some plastic as well to be safe.

Does anyone know how much space I need to leave for the raspberry row in terms of width, was thinking of 18" (roughtly half a meter) ...it will be a single row of summer fruiting with single post support system.

Yes you need a belt-and-braces approach 'cos raspberry runners don't readily take the hint! (I have 18" slabs about 18" away from my raspberries and guess what, the runners go under and up the other side!) Asparagus is the last thing you want invaded by raspberry runners.

18" is an absolute minimum width to grow the raspberries even if supported (and you really need to access both sides for picking.)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 16:06 by JayG »

xx
how deep for root barrier?

Started by SidReal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 13:13
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Bare root raspberry canes

Started by carlotta on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 14:04
by RJR_38
xx
Bare root Raspberry Canes

Started by Walney on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2009, 10:46
by gillie
xx
Just received 25x bare root raspberry plants - what now ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 13:37
by tode

Page created in 0.731 seconds with 38 queries.