scaly leg or hen pecking?

• 5 Replies

Tracey T

scaly leg or hen pecking?
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:43 »
A week ago we added a Welsummer Cross and Welsummer pure breed to our existing Warren and Bluebell hybrids. We initially kept them apart in an adjacent run and they slept in a cat carrier for 3 nights, on the 4th night we put them all together in the main hen house after the old birds had settled for the night- no problems. However, next day and since then, the new hens will not vacate the house in order for the old ones to lay their eggs and they are sat in the nesting boxes resulting in a lot of heated exchanges and squabbling. They are afraid to come out as the old hens chase and peck at them and once they have managed to lay we are having to divide the run off in order for them to feel safe enough to come out. We have noticed, though, that the Cross has really sore legs which it didn't have when we bought them,  I assumed they had been pecked badly as they were red and blooming and the pure breed had a peck of blood above its beak, but Iam now wondering could it be scaly leg? The pure breed has one or two small sore bits too. Any thoughts? We are beginners but want to do the best for our girls! :unsure:

ehs284

Re: scaly leg or hen pecking?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:40 »
I'm no expert, but, as you've had no answers... I suggest that it is pecking. We had one bird with scaly leg and the scales were raised and uneven but there was no blood. Either way a large dollop of vaseline will help. We occasionally have a bit of bullying and I usually interfere to show that I'm top of the pecking order. This usually means simply pushing the bully to allow room or give food. HTH

Tracey T

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 17:09 »
Thanks for that, I am beginning to think it is pecking too as the Welsummer who only had a little mark on her leg ,today is more heavily marked! I'm not sure whether or not to take the two original birds out into a temporary run and sleeping area to give the new ones a break or whether that's a backward step, sometimes I've read it can help take them down a peg or two and solves the problem when re-introduced. I've sprayed them with some purple disinfectant/antiseptic to soothe and help put the others off- hope it works!

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 17:25 »
If you are able to identify the main offender and remove her that can help as they then go back in to the bottom of the pecking order. However, it is a good idea to still keep them where they can be seen by the remaining birds so that they will be readily accepted on their return - much as you have already done with your new birds. Good luck.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 17:51 »
had to keep my new birds seperate for weeks !!!  Kept them in a wired off part of the run where they could see each other. Tried a few times to get them together before it succeded .
just takes time, I had 6 oldies and 6 POL .  Good luck  :unsure:

Alby
wish I was a cat

Tracey T

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 18:48 »
Thanks Sassy and Alby, yes we are beginning to realise that it will be a long road to getting the status quo right. Today we actually tried to let them all be together in the run for a while but the new ones were terrified and that only ignited the superior streak in the other two and they went for them in front of us and did actually go for their legs so now we know it's not scaly leg but bad pecks! We therefore separated the run off again and tonight we have rigged up a temporary home for the two baddies inside their part of the run using an old large plastic plant tub laid on its side with a makeshift perch and nest box inside, and there they will stay 'til we dare to try again. At least the new ones will have a bit of peace poor things! I'm dreaming damn chickens at the mo!!! :wacko:

xx
scaly leg?

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 21:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
Scaly leg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 17:41
by ANHBUC
xx
scaly leg

Started by kanu on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:34
by TeaPots
xx
Scaly Leg

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 10:29
by Vember

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 36 queries.