Would girls eat a Sparrow?

• 11 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Would girls eat a Sparrow?
« on: November 08, 2009, 17:43 »
Just before they settled for bed a Sparrow flew in through the door of their run. They instantly started charging around after it! It wasn't curiousity either, more like a pack after its prey. Would hens really eat a Sparrow if they caught one? Luckily the poor little thing flew out before I got a visual answer  :ohmy:

Jan.x

poultrygeist

Re: Would girls eat a Sparrow?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 17:56 »
Short answer. Yes  :unsure:

Any bird (or anything under the size of a cow) that gets cornered won't last long sadly. We rescued a couple of doves from our run that had started to be sytematically plucked.

Rob

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 18:06 »
 :ohmy: That's really surprised me. They are virtually carniverous girlies then  :wacko: I'll have to be ultra careful that nothing gets in with them from now on, with the exception of cows  ;)

Jan.x

Mischief

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 20:53 »
My girlies almost caught a pigeon and I could sense the drooling!!!! I have noticed that the bird life in my garden has dramatically reduced since the girls arrived!!!!

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 21:49 »
Mischief, that's just it 'sense the drooling' as you said. I instinctively felt that the girls weren't curious or just playing and that it was a pack hunt. I suppose it's just natural behaviour for them if they eat all sorts in the wild. I'll have to make sure I don't take a nap in the run because if they are REALLY hungry they just might eat their mummy! :lol:

Jan.x

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 09:36 »
If you have ever seen how far they can stretch a frog when fighting over it I would have thought a sparrow wouldn't last long.  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43 »
My girlies almost caught a pigeon and I could sense the drooling!!!! I have noticed that the bird life in my garden has dramatically reduced since the girls arrived!!!]

My girls were keen sparrow chasers in the first year but have given it up and they even share the same dust bath , the sparrows stay just out of beak range.
The small bird population has gone up in my garden , the blackbirds raised two broods the dunnock raised one for the first time in about ten years.
The young blackbirds were in and out of the run all the time and all survived.

Well done to the chooks for seeing the moggies off during the day. :)

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 18:15 »
My 6 ladies ignore small birds, but once trapped a crow and would have killed it if a neighbour hadn't stopped them.

Little jack

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 19:36 »
 ::) My girl's once had six piegon's trapped in there coop and didn't chase any, they seemed more scared them selfs from all the flapping that was going on.However i have seen them chase after a magpie in there run. x

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 13:10 »
I saw my girls catch a frog and tear it bits before I could rescue it, poor little thing, and they regularly charge at any birds which dare to come near their food, they even charge the dog when she gets too close, brave or nuts!

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 23:52 »
 :ohmy:I was amazed to see my girls chasing the wrens that nest in a bush by the sitting room window today, could not believe how violent their behaviour was ! Quite shocking, I REALLY dont want to see them doing a tug of war with a frog either ! :(

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 20:06 »
Mine ignore pigeons but instinct must have made them gang up and chase a magpie several times until it gave up and flew away. Possibly protecting their eggs or even their worm supply?

xx
Sparrow hawk

Started by Geo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 10:09
by agapanthus
xx
My chickens killed and ate a sparrow

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 16:23
by evie2
xx
Ive got new girls.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 16:28
by NormandyMary
xx
My New Girls

Started by WoodyK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 17:53
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.