going in nest box but no eggs!

• 5 Replies

chocchicken

going in nest box but no eggs!
« on: November 07, 2009, 17:10 »
one of our chicks has not layed for a few days, she was laying consistently but now she's not but she is still going into the nest box daily sometimes for ages, like an hour!
is this just the winter weather for the lack of eggs or something else?

darcyhen

Re: going in nest box but no eggs!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 17:30 »
yes mine is doing this too. Wondered what it meant when they go to lay but dont.

michelle

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 17:50 »
They don't lay everyday even the warrens. 

She could be egg bound, but there are others on here who are far more experienced than I in advising you on this.

Is she moulting?

We have one that hasn't laid since her prolapse in August (she is also very old in hen terms) and she goes in everyday.  She was used to it and I guess perhaps thinks she should.  I wouldn't worry unless of course she is egg bound.  You could search on here for advice on this or wait until one of the experts comes on to help as I have no doubt they will soon.

Do you know what breed she is?

chocchicken

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 18:58 »
yes, she is a cross between a plymouth rock and rhode island red, she's only 21weeks and has been laying since about 16weeks old. going off now to search  'egg bound' never heard of it?!

chocchicken

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 19:31 »
just been out and got her to check her over, no lumps anywhere and seems ok, apart from wondering why i had disturbed her and brought her indoors!

is it normal for them to stop laying for a few days?

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:51 »
She sounds like a Black Rock (depends which was the mother and father if you see what I mean).  They (apparently) will lay a minimum of about 280 eggs in their first year (according to the internet info I have found - I am quite keen on Black rocks as our next hen purchase), so of course there will be days when they won't lay.  No hen will lay everyday so it is quite normal for them to go off lay for a bit. 

There are other reasons to go of lay, moulting (she sounds a bit young for this), times of the year etc.  Have a good look on the internet about what affects lay.  There have also been lots of other posts on here about hens not laying.  Alot of folks found their hens went off lay in the early Autumn and the long nights don't help either.  Some people, to encourage lay in the winter, will put lights in the hen house during the night so that the hens think it is day time, but I would think that most 'hobby' hen keepers (as opposed to commercial folks) don't do this, I don't know anyone who does, but some people might.

xx
Eggs out of Nest

Started by splash101 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 10:40
by splash101
xx
eggs in nest box

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 17:27
by joyfull
xx
Keeping nest box for eggs only!

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:22
by andreadon
xx
Nest building still no eggs!

Started by ness on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 12:07
by ness

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 28 queries.