Allotment commitee`s

• 8 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
Allotment commitee`s
« on: November 07, 2009, 15:23 »
Hi  all     My   allotment   has talk   going around  of starting a  commitee.   The allotment was started by  a farmer  and  i  pay my  yearly rent to him   and    agree to  HIS  rules.  How would i stand  if  a commitee  was started   and more rules  was inposed   by other plot holders.    What are the pro`s   and  con`s  with  commitee`s    are they  worth the  hassle.     Any   advice   on this   welcome.    Michael

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment commitee`s
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 15:46 »
Hi Michael

A few disjointed thoughts.

I think you need to be clear what is the main reason behind talk of forming a committee.  Is it to essentially take over the management of the site on some level because tenants are unhappy at the conditions placed on their leases by the owner? 

If so, unless the site owner agrees to the committee being involved in self-management (on whatever scale) then it's a non-starter in my view.  It's his land and he can use it in whichever way and subject to whichever restrictions he chooses.  If tenants are unhappy then they have the choice to leave.  (This is not intended to be harsh but it's the reality of private allotments).

If the site owner is happy to allow tenants to set their own restrictions on the land, I'd be very cautious.  There have been a number of posts here in the past from tenants, often though not exclusively on smaller private sites, where the committee has become a powerful clique and there's no challenging it.  Particularly where there's less protection against being thrown off your plot if you raise your head above the parapet.

If the owner is wanting to completely relinquish his role in running the site (i.e. full self-management) then that brings its own challenges. 

You'd need to set up an association, draft a constitution providing for quorum, meetings, election of officials, powers to bank etc.  Also what the procedure for warning letters will be, who decides upon eviction, is there a right of appeal.  Who will be responsible for site maintenance?  What about issuing invoices, collecting rent, holding the money - setting up a bank account.

Having control over one's activities can be very rewarding but it takes a lot of time and hard work, and that depends on constantly having members prepared to step up and do the work.  I've seen more than one site get into disrepair when its management committee became a bunch of disorganised egos and nepotism.  That site is now thriving, it must be said, but there are a few people who put in 10's and 10's of hours down there per week in order to do it well.

Good luck and come back if you've any more questions  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Michael D

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 16:12 »
Thanks     Yorkie       Can  you    e-mail  me  your    reply.        Michael

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 16:14 »
Why not copy/paste it into a document, or even print the web page if you need a hard copy?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

upert

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment commitees
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 17:01 »
all our committee do is talk. rarely does anything actually happen. ideally you want people who have the time, energy and inclination to do something. retired people can make excellent committee members.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment commitees
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 17:30 »
retired people can make excellent committee members.

I agree - our most active committee members are those with more time on their hands!

However, you do need a good balance of ages and outlooks - again, there have been quite a few posts here from newcomers on some sites who have been made to feel unwelcome or even threatened with eviction for not complying with the traditional way of doing things (and the traditional standards of regimented lines without a weed in the parish).

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 19:31 »
I`m 100% behind what Yorkie says. Spot on advice. :D

peterjf

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 22:57 »
we formed  a voluntary tenants management committee at a time when the council was threatening to sell off allotment sites in hull , now all 22 sites in hull have a management committee,

ensuring that ALL ALLOTMENTS IN HULL  are listened too ,

and there are a lot of pollitical votes when we club together and let the counillors know that we are a band of people who really enjoy our plots and that we are a force and that we have the backing of every plot keeper in hull area ,

all managerment committees send a rep to the area meetings , we meet every 2 months
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:33 by peterjf »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 07:56 »
That's a much different situation though than the poster's, where it's one site owned by an individual.

xx
My Own Allotment

Started by easyonthebrain on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 13:58
by easyonthebrain
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 17:47
by cadalot
xx
First allotment

Started by davel149 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 21:46
by mrswashi
xx
New Allotment

Started by jeffers71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:55
by jono2507

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 28 queries.