Exotics

• 10 Replies

M0rph3u5

Exotics
« on: November 02, 2009, 20:29 »
haha  :tongue2: at last I found something challenging to occupy my green fingers in these cold dark evenings instead of turning over the next bed...........

I have just been enticed into buying some exotics [semi hardy/hardy] and have found a good use for my propagator instead of growing some spring onions :-)

Just started on growing (from seed) Palm Tree & Eucalyptus Tree.

Reasoning behind this for my allotment as my greenhouse is quite close to a public walkway and the little rodents  :tongue2: on 2 legs who pass by each day think it great sport to see how many windows they can knock out of my GH! as well as my other allotmenteers. So I decided to look around for stuff that grows BIG as a screen.

I have other stuff to start on later i.e. Banana Plant/Tree, 2 metre high grasses, Indian Shot, anyway I used some birthday money I had and spent £20 on exotic seeds to be germinated at 25 - 35C.

So fingers crossed and a lot of patience (germination 4 weeks to 3months) should take me back into normal veg growing season which starts again in January.

If I get anything appearing  :D I will repost with some pics, later..................

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Exotics
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 22:34 »
Good luck ...you will need it :D

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 23:09 »
Hi I've got a eucalyptus tree in my front garden its been in about 12 years, I kept it tidy for a few years but then rented the house and the tenants didn't cut it. when we moved back in 2 years later it was over 15 foot :ohmy: and not a lot at the bottom so we had it chopped down and was going to plant something else but it grew back again I now keep it about 5' and its nice and bushy, its certainly very hardy
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 23:35 »
I had a small  (8') palm here when we moved in. It got so leggy we cut it down.....and yes....it sprouted from the bit of trunk left. I also have 2 large eucalyptus which have been pollarded and they're bushing out a treat! Both would give good screening if kept low.
Definitely worth the effort of growing, and they're both really hardy which seems weird as they're not native. I love watching the eucalyptus leaves in the wind and they make great flower arrangements. Supposed to help with red mite in the coop too?
If you're after a screening hedge you could grow from hawthorn,holly,hazel etc. seeds/nuts. Native bushes suit wildlife more. Hang on! You don't WANT mammals and birds at the allotment, do you? Forget that!!!
Good luck...just a few years to wait!!! Patience, my girl, patience.......

tode

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55 »
After the grilling we had this Summer, I've started off a pineapple    :D    :D

M0rph3u5

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 15:41 »
yeah many years ago before I got the allotment bug I planted a Eucalyptus in the back garden to screen of the neighbours, it was Jack & The Beanstalk! it grew and it grew and it grew and before I got round to it it had grown so high I could not cut it back to size without the use of a fire engine  :ohmy:

this time I will keep a close eye on it

the Palm Tree is called a Woolly Jelly [Butia Eriospatha] allegedly has not been grown in the UK before so I may be the proud owner of a 1st if it ever makes it out of my propagator and should eventually look like this:

http://www.jungleseeds.com/images/ButiaE.jpg

ButiaE.jpg

tode

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 16:19 »
You had me worried there, Morph:  I thought that was your palm, till I read the post    :D

M0rph3u5

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:20 »
[tode] on my wish list for Santa

tode

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:56 »
For anyone with a frost-free Gh, its quite fun to grow a vanilla (though fruit isn't guaranteed): they can get pretty long: up to 5 or 6 metres.

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 23:55 »
For anyone with a frost-free Gh, its quite fun to grow a vanilla (though fruit isn't guaranteed): they can get pretty long: up to 5 or 6 metres.
What......? The pods?? ::) :D :D :D

tode

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:18 »
 :D   :D    :nowink:

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.