Calling all yogurt experts...

• 6 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Calling all yogurt experts...
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:18 »
I have just bought an EasiYo yogurt maker (half price from Lakeland), but didn't buy any sachets of powder, thinking I would be able to use it to make yogurt in the conventional way. However it turns out it's not that simple. I tried to make a batch using made up powdered milk, and a pot of live yogurt - it didn't work, came out all runny.
Now I have just bought a sachet of EasiYo powder (£2.49  :ohmy:  :ohmy:) and that is currently brewing up.
What I want to do next is reserve some of the yogurt to make the next batch, so can anyone tell me what I should do?
With these sachets you have to make them up with cold water, then put the jar into boiling water inside the yogurt making flask. If I was to use ordinary milk, should I boil it and cool it to body temperature (or whatever) and then put it in, or should I let it cool completely and then put it in? (and if I use UHT presumably I don't have to boil it at all).
I would like to do it in the cheapest way possible, but I have never made yogurt either this EasiYo way or in the normal way before, and I'm a bit confused.
Rachael

Poolfield2

Re: Calling all yogurt experts...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 22:19 »
I had one of those for a while but like you I was not prepared to pay so much for the sachets. I tried to make yoghurt with room temp UHT milk and added 2 tbs milk powder and 2 tbs of good natural yoghurt like Yeo Valley. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, I think the room needs to be warmer than my kitchen was at the time.

Hope it works, I gave up and bought one of the electric ones in the end ::)

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:22 »
I've had the easiyo yog maker!  You don't need the sachets!  I used the recipie out of Johns book for yogurt making!  
Put the boiling water into the flask part of the yogurt maker, put the milk UHT is good for this in the seperate container you should have then add a spoonful of live yogurt to it!  This is your starter.  Leave overnight and hey presto yummy yogurt in the morning!

Hope it works now!!

madcat

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16 »
I have instructions for making yogurt using my little slow cooker but when I tried it came out very thin and runny.  I used skimmed UHT milk - should I use full fat?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:26 »
I have an easiYo yogurt maker I mostly use the sachets as my son likes flavoured yogurt but I did try using UHT milk with dried milk powder and live yogurt added it was very nice I think the dried milk powder makes it thicker
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 13:52 »
I've had the easiyo yog maker!  You don't need the sachets!  I used the recipie out of Johns book for yogurt making!  

That's quite useful to know  8). I have been put off buying the Easiyo because of the price of the sachets..
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 13:53 »
Thanks everyone. Well I have just tried my EasiYo sachet yogurt - I used the plain, full fat greek one - I must say it is delicious.  :)
So next I will try UHT milk with a couple of tbsp of this yogurt as a starter, maybe some milk powder as well. Wish me luck!

xx
Calling all birthday party experts - Jelly advice needed!!

Started by angelavdavis on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 19:49
by angelavdavis
xx
yogurt

Started by Brambles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 01:05
by Trillium
xx
yogurt

Started by gypsy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 22:54
by gypsy
xx
making your own yogurt ?

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post October 13, 2012, 21:22
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 36 queries.