Advice on caring for two 6 week old chicks

• 3 Replies

joolie

Advice on caring for two 6 week old chicks
« on: November 01, 2009, 20:24 »
Can someone help me with some advice about my new little girls.  I have got 2 chicks about 6 weeks in age - a favorolle and a legbar.  I have read loads about caring for day old chicks but cant find anywhere for them at this age.  I'm fine with general feeding and watering but wonder what treats they can have and do they need grit? Also they are in the main run in a pen for protection and come into the utility room on an evening.  Is this right for them? When should i introduce them to my 5 other girls? At night they have newspaper on the cage floor and during the day the run has a floor of woodchips - is this ok?  They are so cute and the kids are learning alot but i'm a nervous wreck! Please advise x
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 20:26 by joolie »

Foxy

Re: Advice on caring for two 6 week old chicks
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 21:20 »
Personally I think this time of year 6 weeks old is a little young to be outside, the weather now is getting cold and windy. I dont know how warm your utility is, but I would worry about the temp change when you pop them outside. I would be happier if they were in a shed personally. Thats just my opinion, specially as they are new birds you have brought in. :)
Introducing to the main flock, I would be doing "meet and greets" around 14-16 weeks old :) Allowing them to familiarise with each other first through a makeshift pen, and allowing little sessions together, gradually increasing until they pay each other no real heed.
What are you feeding them on? and are they large or bantam birds? :) :)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 21:25 »
I know nothing about temperatures etc..... :( as for introducing them......mine had a broody and were "introduced" at about 2-3 weeks old. As in....they could see each other thru the wire! 2 hens looked and weren't bothered...one was real nasty for the first 2 days and then got over it....on day 4 the babies escaped!!!! So I let mother out with them and she protected them and all was well. In all fairness the hens weren't too bothered after they'd seen them up close a few times (albeit thru wire)!!! Good luck with it all - there will be plenty of good advice on here!!!  :)

joolie

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 19:16 »
Thanks for the advice so far.
I agree with you Foxy regarding it being cold outside and the temp changes- the utility is a single skinned building and is probably nearly as cold as a shed - there is no heating and the window is permenantly open. 
At the minute they are both on chick crumb and i was intending to mix this with growers pellets after next week and then just keep to growers. They are not bantam birds - the Salmon Favorelle is quite a chubby girl but the legbar seems quite skinny.
what treats can i give them?  Is newspaper ok on the floor of their cage?
Thanks again - keep the advice coming please as i appreciate it and want to do the best for my new babies  :)

question
Advice on feeding 18 week old chicks

Started by georget on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 08:37
by Sassy
xx
chicks due to hatch next week, a bit of advice if poss?

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 15:49
by oddpaws
smiley
Caring for newly hatched chicks

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 23:14
by Tazzy
xx
Caring for newly hatched chicks..SO excited !!!

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 10:46
by hulgrin

Page created in 1.198 seconds with 36 queries.