How organic?

• 53 Replies

tonybloke

Re: How organic?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 15:49 »
I think they use the molasses as an easily available Carbon for the plants, you could just use sugar, but this would probably attract ants / wasps. Some pet foods have molasses in them, perhaps you could experiment with adding some to your planting pit? ;)
you couldn't make it up! ;)

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 19:25 »
Molasses are used in a lot of organic plant foods too. So much so, you can often smell it it them.....

NigelB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 21:48 »
Another council meeting came and went without enough councillors bothering to turn up to form a quorum.... So no business was conducted for another month.... well, five weeks actually. In a month there is something else going on......  :mad:
Absolutely b****y shameful!

stompy

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 08:59 »
Why don't you just say Chemical free vegetables instead of organic :unsure:

Christine

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 17:34 »
I suspect that most of us would do so - NigelB is a little bit different though.  :lol:

But if we didn't have somebody way out pushing the boundaries things would never change.  :lol:

NigelB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 11:08 »
 :tongue2: Oh I dunno Christine....
In truth my garden is only about as 'organic' as yours sounds. We tend nowadays to throw as much household waste as we can at the compost heap. I'd rather recycle at home than have the council take it away and bury it somewhere. (There is no 'buy-back processed compost' scheme here as far as I'm aware.... Not that I'd use it though.)
My compost heap is in the chicken run area, so everything that goes on it the chickens get to eat, scratch at, plop on or ignore as is their pleasure.

Actually though, thinking about what you said, I think you may still have it backwards somewhat.  ;) You are the one 'pushing boundaries' by trying to claim a word on behalf of the legal-eagles.
Stuff-em I say. Let them find, or even invent, their own word/s to describe what is or is not 'organic'.
Any suggestions?.......

How about something like....... 'Truly chemical free', .....................or 'Untainted by unnatural practices'... ..................Or even 'So unlike a lawyer it's good for you'....?   :happy:

Any more.......?   8)

Christine

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 18:20 »
To win your battle NigelB you need to understand your opposition, to understand how they think and then to work out how to lead them gently by the nose round to the way that you wish them to think without being caught doing so.   :D

I'd say that the first battle you have to win is to persuade your councillors that you are a gentle little lamb who is no danger to themselves or their peaceful council meetings. That way you will get your quorum. Then you talk gently with great charm to them using the information you have gleaned from this forum - remember that they probably know even less about gardening than they do about running a council which won't be much as council's are usually run by their clerks.

Remember that softly softly catcheth Monkey - but first you need to think like the monkey to know what sort of softly softly.

Meantime, sensibly organic is building your own compost heap without too much nasty stuff. Remember not to put the Verdone on your lawn as the clippings will then be contaminated with the same chemical that caused B&Q to withdraw their organic tomato feed that was killing off the said tomatoes. Flipping marvellous innit how a simple thing can cause so much trouble. Far better to let the lawn grow a bit longer and not be cut so often in dry weather.  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 19:26 »
How about something like....... 'Truly chemical free', .....................or 'Untainted by unnatural practices'... ..................Or even 'So unlike a lawyer it's good for you'....?   :happy:

Any more.......?   8)

Grown Responsibly, in an Environmentally and Ecologically sustainable way, using wholly Natural methods.

(Not sure I actually sign-up to the use of acronyms to promote ideas but maybe the sentence stands up by itself as describing what you are trying to achieve)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

NigelB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 10:26 »
To win your battle NigelB you need to understand your opposition, to understand how they think and then to work out how to lead them gently by the nose round to the way that you wish them to think without being caught doing so.   :D

I'd say that the first battle you have to win is to persuade your councillors that you are a gentle little lamb who is no danger to themselves or their peaceful council meetings. That way you will get your quorum. Then you talk gently with great charm to them using the information you have gleaned from this forum - remember that they probably know even less about gardening than they do about running a council which won't be much as council's are usually run by their clerks.

Remember that softly softly catcheth Monkey - but first you need to think like the monkey to know what sort of softly softly.

Psssssst!  :)

Christine.......

Guess what.....................?

WE WON!   :ohmy:

Last Thursday's council meeting was the decider, and they all gave in and granted our request for allotments!
Yaaay!

We have permission to use the field exactly as we applied for it.
There's enough room for twenty or twenty-two plots of 300sq Yards each (280sq metres). More if we reduce the sizes slightly or if there is a bigger uptake than first expected. (And we already have 19 3/4 plots booked so far from a total of twenty-three applicants), and permission to use as much extra room as considered necessary.
There are separate areas for livestock, (chickens and rabbits), and an area we think will be perfect for bee-keeping and fruit trees, and there's also an area for community gardens and leisure, and maybe a small coppice area for growing pea-sticks etc.

Roughly two-and-a-half acres of Wales' finest. :)

Who's a happy bunny then?  8)

So much to do now though............
We still have to wait for the nod from the planning dept about change of use of the field, and there's the terms of the lease to negotiate, but they did also vote to set a 'peppercorn rent', so, fingers crossed and all being well, we might manage to get planting this spring!
Right now I have to design and print the posters calling a public meeting ( 2nd Feb 2010) so everyone has had the chance of claiming a plot, and go out there this afternoon to help start marking out and strimming the fence-lines and plots....

WooooHooooo!!! 

xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
question
organic from non-organic????

Started by PC PLOT on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 20:06
by richyrich7
xx
organic

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 14:00
by kermit

Page created in 0.659 seconds with 38 queries.