Problem with hen about to hatch eggs

• 15 Replies

juliebuckley

« on: May 12, 2007, 14:20 »
Hi everyone. I am a new user of this site. I have a few chickens in my garden and one is currently waiting to hatch some eggs. However I have a problem and would appreciate some advice. She is a banton hen and recently i have found she is excreting a lot more than normal and there is a very bad smell from where I am keeping her. Why is this? Is she ill? This has not been a problem before for me.

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 17:03 »
Broody hens, may only poo once or twice a day even less so when they do it comes out in one large, very smelly glob. Dont worry about it. It is completely normal. Good Luck hatching

juliebuckley

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 13:29 »
Thank you for your help  
Julie

juliebuckley

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 23:24 »
one egg hatched chick weak and died, and she abandoned the rest of the eggs why?

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 00:25 »
aww how sad, are you ok?

juliebuckley

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 15:17 »
I am fine, its just a pity

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 15:50 »
She could have abandoned the eggs if they were infertile and/or gone rotten. Or just got bored/ or waited 2 days after the first chick hatched and thaught stuff this nothing else is gunna hatch am off

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 02:45 »
some birds sit so tight they will not leave the nest to relieve themselves and so they fowl the nest( no pun intended ) they must be made to get up and go at least once a day as the resultant mess soaks into the eggs and kills them. she will always return to the nest once shes done her buisness. was that a seriouse question happyvalley ?.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:41 »
hi alan, yes. its always sad when something dies. my chooks are my pets and they all have names so i would be upset if i lost one.... am i being silly

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:39 »
no i guess not if you class them as pets. i class them as working animals and only that, no names no cuddles no fuss, i do treat them with respect and dignity and would never see them suffer i give them the best treatment i can but when theres no eggs its a long neck no messing no kisses bye bye the only reprive is if they constantly brood and are good mothers and even then time runs out. also if i even suspect a chicken is carrying a dissese it is culled that second, if you wait its through the whole flock in minutes not days.
my own personal views.
alan

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 02:54 »
i should mention i have kept chickens for about 25 years now and show a few diffrent breeds i have at presant an old english game cock bird silver duckwing that won 7 shows last year. my point beeing that with me having so many birds go through my hands each year approx 140 to 200 birds the heart does tend to harden.
alan
if you want you can name them all each year for me lol

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 10:09 »
sounds like theres no right or wrong way here. just different types of people keeping chickens for different reasons.
which i personally think is nice and great to know that on here you can get lots of help and views and everyone is so friendly whether you have one chicken or hundreds.

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 15:28 »
Yeah Julie dont worry, its only having a super poo.. Mine really stink aswell when thet are clocking.. Just last week I had a bantam due on the Wednesday, nothing happened and by Friday I dacided to take her off and inspect the eggs myself. I put her back with the other bantams and her cockerel. I checked the eggs and all were dudd. I dont know if they were infertile (but I have eggs in my incubator from the same cuople of weeks and they are fertile) or if she pood in her nest and it killed them b4 they got started properly.  Anyway the Bantam I took off the nest was sitting on more eggs the following morning that I had been letting build up for another bantam, so I put more eggs there and she is still sitting tight right now. I dont know if she will sit for the full 3 weeks as it would of been a long 6 weeks if she does, and I've never known of it b4 and neither has anyone else I've spoken to. But for now she is doing me proud!!!

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 18:31 »
you do now mark i have had about 6 birds sit for 2 clutches with no problems at all.

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 22:40 »
Thanks Alan she is still sitting now, its half way through, but another has joined her sitting on her eggs too, I dont know whether to take the new one off and put her on another set of eggs... What would you reccomend? Any advice appreciated :D

xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
eggs about to hatch need some help

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 09:20
by joyfull
xx
Eggs due to hatch

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 14:44
by nnbreeder
xx
Eggs to hatch

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 21, 2007, 07:31
by slowef

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 36 queries.