Post by Dannie - frustrated at not getting a plot

• 31 Replies

dannie

Post by Dannie - frustrated at not getting a plot
« on: October 30, 2009, 21:57 »
hi all you new lottie holders, i wish you all the growing luck in the world, i have had my name on the list for two years now, i have phoned, i have e-mailed, and i  have wrote  letters, and i havent had any explanation or any reply from the allotment officer, why i havnt had any news of a plot yet. why am i being totaly ignored, i just want an reply to my correspondence please. if and when ?????? :( :( :( :( :( :(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 22:06 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: 28.10.09, Day1 of owning an allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 22:04 »
Whilst it does seem discourteous not to reply at all (and I don't seek to defend it), it is possible that:

a) you will only be told when there is something to tell you
b) two years for a plot could indicate that there are a lot of others also bugging for an answer, and to reply to all would be a full time job in itself
c) two years is not an unheard of length of time for lotties in some parts of the world so it is unlikely that they are discriminating against you

P.S. I've split your post off from the original thread which you posted on so that it doesn't end up further hijacked  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

dannie

Re: Post by Dannie - frustrated at not getting a plot
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 22:14 »
thanks yorkie for the reasurence, i suppose i am expecting too much to be singled out if there are others in the same situation,maybe soon i will get to know something, i will let you know, thanks again for your caring reply. ;) ;) ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 22:16 »
I've been on the list for 3 years now :( You apply on line you get an email saying yes you are on the list then nothing..........
I e mail every 6 months to remind them I'm still here and waiting! I get a mail back to say I won't hear from them at all till there is something to offer me...and so it goes on.
The thing is that I think the arthritis is moving quicker than the list ::)

peterjf

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 22:22 »
hi , have you tried walking around your local allotment sites

asking if anyone wants to share their plot,

or just ask to help someone , build up a friendship

we have people who started helping others and are now

sharing plot and really good friends

dannie

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 22:32 »
hi mumofstig good luck to you its frustrating when you here that some people have got more than one plot, you have been on the list longer than me so i hope you here something soon, yes the athritus is setting in quicker, thanks for your reply im new to the site, so ITS NICE TO TALK!!!!! :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

dannie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 22:35 »
thanks peterif for the advice,will try

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:39 »
Some people also get a bit further on the list by saying that they will take a very over grown plot that no one else is interested in.  I have done lots of work on my plot that the old boys said would never be a plot again.  Its nice to prove some people wrong :D
Thanks
Kris

Kagganz

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 07:57 »
I've only been on my waiting for 6 months, I'm number 35 already but my local allotments only have 28 plots (it's a lovely site though).

I rang last week enquiring where I was on the list and was told that letters were being sent out to everyone  asking if they were still interested,  because on one of their other allotment lists they had 400 peoples names but when those letters came back saying who was still interested only 100 replied, a good 300 down in one swoop there.

Sure enough I got my letter last week and returned it. 

Hopefully my list sees the same lack of interest so that I move up a notch or two.  :D

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 09:30 »
hi all you new lottie holders, i wish you all the growing luck in the world, i have had my name on the list for two years now, i have phoned, i have e-mailed, and i  have wrote  letters, and i havent had any explanation or any reply from the allotment officer, why i havnt had any news of a plot yet. why am i being totaly ignored, i just want an reply to my correspondence please. if and when ?????? :( :( :( :( :( :(

What are you asking when you contact them?

If you are asking why you haven't had news then they will just file it....as they have no news

If you start asking when they think it is likely that you might receive a plot; and which number you are on the list then you might get a response because they can actually answer it.

plot9

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 21:34 »
Can you get onto the site?

I went into our site every 2 weeks on a sunday to see if anything was coming up, and got lucky one day.

peterjf

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 23:05 »
we have 245 plots in newland hull ,  24 acres , each single plot is 250 sq yds, there are 124 on the waiting list , had my 2 plots 6 yrs

Babyshoes

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 00:56 »
We waited about 2 years for our plot to come up, and when it did we found out from others on the site that it (and several others) had been vacant for about 18 months!!  :ohmy: Luckily we were able to choose as my partner went round straight away, and got one that had been covered with weed suppressant fabric.  8)

It is worth trying to speak to plot holders on the site to see if any plots are vacant, and then call up with that information, and also ask where you are on the waiting list - if you are near the top then you can push the issue a bit, but if you are still no.50 or something then you may just have to wait a bit longer!

Our council also started a policy of splitting plots just before we got ours, so ours is 5 poles instead of the normal 10, which to be honest is big enough for beginners, though it would be nice to have more space now we have some idea of what we are doing! That may be something else to enquire about if any plots are available - let them know you would be willing to take a half plot or to share with someone...

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:45 »
Not got an allotment and not after one - but just had an observation that i'm hoping someone can comment on.

If the waiting lists are so big how come some people have got multiple plots?

Did they get them when there were more plots than people wanting plots and now won't give them up (understandably) or did they put their name down for another one and went through the same waiting process for the second plot (is priority given to people without plots?).

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 09:29 »

If the waiting lists are so big how come some people have got multiple plots?

It depends on how the allotments are organised. I was on the waiting list for 2 months (private allotments) and took a half-plot on in Jan and then in March was offered another half-plot next to it.

On our plots, they start you out with a smaller plot first which is fine for most people who just find it large enough (others leave if they cannot hack it) and if there are vacanct plots (and we had about 30 vacant smaller plots earlieer this year) and you work your plot well, you can have another plot if you want one.

But this is a private site so it probably operates differently to council-run sites. And we now barely have a waiting list at all
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

xx
feeling frustrated

Started by annie b on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 23:32
by peterjf
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
another pea post

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 22, 2015, 08:31
by 3759allen
xx
Where has my post gone

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 22:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.24 seconds with 38 queries.