My allotment still saves me money - it's official

• 3 Replies

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
My allotment still saves me money - it's official
« on: October 29, 2009, 23:14 »
This time last year I posted the results of my calculations of how much the veg my allotment produced would be worth if I had bought it, in season, in the shop. As I grow organic I based these on the price of organic veg at Tesco where available, non-organic if not.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25837.msg305739#msg305739

I thought it might be nice to do the same again. This time I have totted up all the veg harvested from 01 Nov 2008 til now - 12 month's worth.

The grand total was £642. Minus £188 in costs (netting, manure, seeds, rent, petrol...) gives £464 "profit"*.
*Excluding hours of backbeaking toil.

Big successes were broad beans (I actually got some this year - last year the blackfly killed them) - 21kg/ £83.00, rocket (grows like a weed, very expensive to buy), 7kg/£70.00,  delicious Costoluto tomatoes (greenhouse) 17kg/£85.00 and purple sprouting broccoli, 6kg/£45.

Relative failures compared to the previous year were onions and garlic, french and runner beans and  beetroot. Some you win, some you lose on the great roulette wheel of allotment gardening.

I still find it strange that crops like chard and rocket that are dead easy to grow are so expensive to buy. Just supply and demand I suppose. My wife has been offloading bags of rocket and more than a few courgettes on her unsuspecting colleagues at work - they profess themselves to be delighted, and who are we to disbelieve them? Most of the stuff we have eaten ourselves, or pickled or frozen though.

Organic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: My allotment still saves me money - it's official
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 23:18 »
It's a wonderful feeling when something works out right, isn't it :D

peterjf

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 23:37 »
we save roughly £500 per year in veg and stuff , supply our 2 married children and 3 grand children,

before they get anything from the plot they have to dig a little or help out in one way or another on the plot

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 13:25 »
Hi Stoatus,
The figures that you give in your posting are very interesting to a newbie like me. Can you tell me what the size of your plot is? Is it a standard plot, of what I believe to be approximately 300 sq.yards (250 sq. Metres) or is your plot a different size?
Thanks for your efforts.

xx
My allotment saves me money - it's official!

Started by Stoatus on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post March 25, 2021, 12:32
by snowdrops
xx
Well I know the official answer but ......

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 09:24
by Rob the rake
xx
It's Official I Hate The Wind!

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 13:48
by Stratts
xx
Official measuring last night.

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 15:01
by mother hen

Page created in 0.89 seconds with 38 queries.