Allotment Horror! Eviction Notice

• 70 Replies

binner

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment Horror! Eviction Notice
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 18:38 »
With regards to layouts, I have been advised to divide the plot into 2 and have 4 beds going lengthways so I would have 8 beds in total. Also to divide the lengths into family's ie brassicas, root etc. Does anyone have any opinions suggestions on this? 

i started mine from a blank patch of grass this year too. i have split mine into 6 5'x20' beds, this gives me 2 beds each for roots, brassicus and others, then they can easily be rotated round each year. i also have an area that could make one huge or two small beds im going to use for fruits, strawberry and rhubarb ect
first year grower

Rubellite

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 19:00 »
Has the baby arrived yet?  ::)

rusbli

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 21:36 »
no not yet  :(... my wife is having back pains at the moment and is hoping it makes an appearance soon. Would be good if it came on Sunday though as Saturday is Halloween and we would have to call it Damian then. :lol:

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 21:45 »
I am sure a bit of digging down at the allotment would help her get rid of the backache!  :tongue2:

rusbli

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 21:53 »
I will suggest that to her im sure she will be happy to  ;)

Helen_uk

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 08:41 »
Im so glad that i just found this post.

I receive a letter yesterday too - not an eviction one but 'lack of cultivation'. I'm furious!

It states that the field rep and council member went round, they even took a photo and sent it to me! I worked so hard to get half of my plot under control and workable and left the other half as everyone was like do a bit at a time. So its a little overgrown, Ive cleared it twice and the reason it flares up is because the plots either side are like a forest! and they had the cheek to say in my letter that my weedy area was feeding the other plots!!

I shall be writing a letter and sending it next week. What galls me more than anything is why do they send out snotty letters without first giving you a call to see if everything is ok? are you struggling etc. But no straight in with the horns.

Our allotment field committee is full of members that have been on the field since time began, they wanted to encourage more of us to part take and have an input but if this is the way they go about 'helping to make the field a better place' then I dont want to be part of it.

RANT OVER  :lol:
I'm a vegetable virgin! All advice offered very welcome!!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 09:52 »
the sad thing is, you get a few unimportant people with Hitler-esque tendencies and the power goes to their head - they are so unsuccessful in other areas of their lives that this is the one area they feel they can shine: any attempt to communicate fairly or reasonably (as there could well be personal circumstances affecting a plot holder) go out of the window.

We have one who moaned rudely at my neighbours plot (my partner!) for being overgrown and not fully utilised. When we pointed out his plot needed a lot of work doing (broadbean plants that had fallen over the communal path, stacks of weeds several inches tall, squash plants trailing onto his neighbours.....he said he was allowed to as he was on the committee!!

And then some of these folk who are "in charge" go round claiming it is a hard job to do - nonsense, it is not hard at all if you are organised, approachable, human. Besides, that is the role these folk opted to do!! And they can still be business-like and firm with the few allotmenteers who really do not do their bit. It is little more than standard management which many of us do as part of our normal jobs.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 10:15 »
"He said he was allowed to as he was on the committee!! "  That gave me a good laugh.  :) :) :tongue2:

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 10:51 »
Dont kill yourself trying to do it all at once but try adopt a 'little but often' approach. This way it will always look as if something is being done. Any bare parts put down some ground cover to help keep the weeds down, i got a load of weed control fabric from ebay and have covered half my plot to keep the weeds down until its time to plant next year.

Every time i go to my plot i always spend 10 minutes or so with the hoe so nothing gets out of control and it always looks pretty tidy.

I think that sometimes the trouble with some of the older plot holders is that they tent to be retired and the plot can be their life. There is nothing wrong with that but i think sometimes they forget that the younger plot holders probably have a lot more things to worry about, like the imminent arrival of a child, and cant spend every day on the plot keeping it immaculate.

Hope all goes well

Chappers
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 11:07 »
yes a little often - with weeding, I hoe the whole plot once a week in about 15-20mins and then sometimes clear the debris, at other times don't. But within those 15-20mins it looks miles better and might keep the whingers at bay.

rusbli

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2009, 16:21 »
Dont kill yourself trying to do it all at once but try adopt a 'little but often' approach. This way it will always look as if something is being done. Any bare parts put down some ground cover to help keep the weeds down, i got a load of weed control fabric from ebay and have covered half my plot to keep the weeds down until its time to plant next year.

Every time i go to my plot i always spend 10 minutes or so with the hoe so nothing gets out of control and it always looks pretty tidy.

I think that sometimes the trouble with some of the older plot holders is that they tent to be retired and the plot can be their life. There is nothing wrong with that but i think sometimes they forget that the younger plot holders probably have a lot more things to worry about, like the imminent arrival of a child, and cant spend every day on the plot keeping it immaculate.

Hope all goes well

Chappers

Thanks Chappers, I dont think the older generation understand the amout of spare time some of us have (but some do). With looking after childeren, doing a 9-5 job, being a husband, all the usual things that come with having responsibility's.

I always seem to have a list of jobs to do, I have spent most the day painting by babys new rocking chair and it still needs another coat! I also have the windows to clean shed and fence to paint!

Oh and by the way the baby still has not arrived!!!!!!

Russ

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2009, 17:45 »

Thanks Chappers, I dont think the older generation understand the amout of spare time some of us have (but some do). With looking after childeren, doing a 9-5 job, being a husband, all the usual things that come with having responsibility's.

Yes some of us do  ::)  We had an allotment when our children were really tiny and it was hard work to keep it up to scratch !!!!!!

Now I'm retired I'm just as busy and still find it hard work to find enough time to do everything  :lol:

madcat

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 18:07 »
My dad used to have this saying "when we are retired and have more time, we/I will...  " Needless to say, erm, he was never busier!   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Christine

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07 »
I get into trouble with the retired plot holders (all of my age) for working on the plot first and worrying about everything else when the necessary gardening is done.

Rubellite

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 14:11 »
Some people are always busy - it's just the way they are - and others, I shan't say they're lazy - perhaps they just know how to relax ::)
Each to his own..................
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 21:03 by Rubellite »

xx
Eviction Notice -HELP

Started by Tugrin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 14, 2019, 18:07
by jambop
xx
Notice to quit

Started by Windsong on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 09:40
by joyfull
xx
Blackfly....the horror

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 18:09
by Yorkie
xx
Brussels.....the horror

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 21:00
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 37 queries.