Hens fighting

• 3 Replies

PJM

Hens fighting
« on: October 25, 2009, 19:10 »
Today just before going out to lunch, two of my Buff Orpy bantams started having a real go at one another. One was the lowest member in the flock and the other mid table, both sisters and haveing grown up together. It was a rael blood and thunder scrap and did not even stop as I was trying to pick them up. I put them both in seperate cat baskets while I went out, so that they could not see each other. When I got back, I went and purchased a Large rabbit hutch in case I needed to seperate them. I let them all out into the garden for the rest of the afternoon,a nd all seemed fine, they all went to bed in the main coop this evening, so I have left them to it. Have I done the right thing or is it likely to happen again? They have a large coop, and extremely large run with a range of perches, shrubs, and other forms of chook entertainment. This is the first time I have had this problem. Any advice please. I go on Holiday in two weeks and hope this will all be settled before the neighbours are looking after them.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: Hens fighting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:45 »
are you sure they are sisters and not brothers???

I am surpised it got so nasty with them growing up together.

I would make sure any injuries are treated with some anti-septic spray, you can get it from your local animal feed suppliers or the vets or on line.  Hens tend go for an area of redness so you need to keep an eye that the injuries dont cause more attacks.

I wouldn't seperate them unless it keeps happening as the problems will occure again when they are re-introduced.  It may be that they were just establishing the pecking order and they may be ok from now.  Keep a close eye though.  Good luck.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:53 »
Wow, Orpies having a punch up!  Are you sure their not cockerels?  My advice would be to buy some purple spray and spray up any red areas on them.  You can usually get it at the same store that you get your other chicken supplies.  Fiesty little madams - I bet you were shocked to see that!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

PJM

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 14:56 »
Thanks Guys, Yes I was shocked Little Red Hen, they are normally such placid, loving little things. I got some antiseptic spray from pets at home, both had slight wounds one on her combe one on her wattle. All seems well in the world at the moment, but have told OH to keep an eye on them. Couldn't believe they could be so vicious towards each other. They were still trying to fight as I was picking them up.

xx
fighting hens

Started by Elvira on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 09:14
by hen addict
xx
Fighting Hens

Started by b'cark on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 14:27
by b'cark
xx
Hens were fighting over a small snake this morning!

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 16:34
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
fighting

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 16:53
by gailtearle

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.