Limping Ex-Batts & Perching!

• 8 Replies

Devonian

Limping Ex-Batts & Perching!
« on: October 23, 2009, 20:58 »
Two of my ex-barn hens I received a fortnight ago have limps!    Each has one bad leg although seem to get around OK and it doesn't seem to bother them. 

I am hoping to get them out of quarantine soon but at the moment they don't seem interest in perching at all and are sleeping in the nesting boxes!! 

Do I have to 'train' them or do they need two good feet to perch?   Should I have a lower perch for them in the hen house or will this cause problems with the other girls who are on higher perches?   

mumsy

Re: Limping Ex-Batts & Perching!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 22:43 »
I  (imho) don't beleive that it actually matters if they perch or not, you are giving them a happy home.  Keep an eye on the limping, it could just be they are using parts never used before & will soon strengthen up.

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:35 »
I had two eggs bats', as they have never perched they don't know how to so you will need to lift them onto the perch each night, within a week they should have the hang of it, but my perches are quite low.  I also had to lift them up the ladder to the coop as they couldn't figure out how to get up it, and the first morning after just threw themselves out the door, it didn't take long for them to get into the swing of it.  It was quite touching to watch them when they rushed over to the more experienced girls to see what they did, as they had no idea about dustbaths, or scratching in the soil.  I personally don't like my girls perching in the nest boxes as they mess up the straw with droppings, but I gather other keepers don't mind.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 14:49 »
My ex batties just copied the other girls and perched within a day or two  :D but must admit to building them a set of ladders so they could walk up rather than jump/fly as my perch is 3 foot high.

Alby
wish I was a cat

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 18:00 »
dont forget, ex batts have never perched, they sit and stand in a cage for the life they are laying, so dont know how to perch, this is also why they sometimes have bad legs, etc.
go onto the bhwt website for more info on how to rehabilitate them. they will get the hang of it in due course.
dont forget the extra tonics, life guard or poultry spice to help them get well

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:49 »
Hi  :)our girls were ex bats,and they stayed in nesting boxs for quite a while,also two had very badly damaged legs,but intime the legs healed and my girls perched.They will work it out, it just takes time with some. :) :) 
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

Devonian

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 14:29 »
Thanks for all your advice :) 

they do seem to be copying what the others are doing, ie, dustbaths so hopefully in time they will be able to perch if they want to.

I will get hubby to make a ladder for them  -  any suggestions on sizes, materials etc would be very welcome! 

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 20:48 »
This henhouse is 10 x 6 with the perch 3ft high

This one 8 x 6 with the perch 1ft high

both do the job just fine
          Alby

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 10:27 »
Some of my ex batts prefer to perch, and others head for the nest boxes at night.  I'd just leave them to do what they like, they are in retirementment afterall. 

xx
Not perching?

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 18:49
by Tiggersmate
xx
Perching help please?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:49
by SMD66
xx
Perching

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:18
by Casey76
xx
perching

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 15:33
by knittywittywoo

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.