2 Tons of it

• 16 Replies

lightyears

2 Tons of it
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:29 »
Just got 3 year old horse muck delivered this morning, all 2 tons of it. all piled up for next years spuds and heavy feeders. Man what hard work  :D

anyone else getting there winter stuff ready now as a lot of people down my site dont seem to be doing much.

smurf

Re: 2 Tons of it
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:32 »
Dont think ill be needing 2 ton :ohmy: :ohmy: but im on the look out every time i pass a farm on my travels. Made the mistake of feeding the patch just before i put the carrots in last year so thats one lesson learnt

lightyears

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:50 »
i think i will need every drop of it this year, Ive worked the ground really hard and i think its due a feed up and conditioning.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:54 »
How lucky you are to have vehicle access to your plot !

We don't have any and have to park on local roads.  Everything (including manure) has to be wheelbarrowed up the lane and through the allotment site to your plot.  Even harder work  ;)

lightyears

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:58 »
The man who delivered had a mini digger, but he would not let me play with it  >:(. i feel for you if you don't have a road, its hard enough lugging it 10 feet let alone 100

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 13:10 »
More like 500  :(

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 13:15 »

Heh, heh!!

Had mine delivered last week, don't know how much, but an entire trailer full, which I shared with another plot holder. It took Mike (67) about 4 hours to barrow his share away, took me (much younger!) about 2+, but it was dumped at the end of my plot. Estimate about 35 barrow loads, as you say, hard work!!!

Now I can't decide if I should leave some beds completely clear for carrots etc. that don't like it...I'm just spreading on top and leaving for a few months rather than digging in at present - what do others do?

By the way, was £25 total for the load, so not bad at £12.50, I felt. Do know of free options, but have nothing to collect in meself...

Phill

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 13:38 »

Heh, heh!!

Had mine delivered last week, don't know how much, but an entire trailer full, which I shared with another plot holder. It took Mike (67) about 4 hours to barrow his share away, took me (much younger!) about 2+, but it was dumped at the end of my plot. Estimate about 35 barrow loads, as you say, hard work!!!

Now I can't decide if I should leave some beds completely clear for carrots etc. that don't like it...I'm just spreading on top and leaving for a few months rather than digging in at present - what do others do?

By the way, was £25 total for the load, so not bad at £12.50, I felt. Do know of free options, but have nothing to collect in meself...

Phill

How did you find someone willing to deliver for that price?  Bargain I say.  At present Im looking at paying a stingey farm about 8 miles away £25 for a small car-boot full.  Not ideal.  Any tips on finding local farms / stables willing to deliver much appreciated.

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 13:55 »
We can get a load of pig manure on our site they take orders at the site shop £35 a load trouble is you have to be there when they deliver. Oh refuses due to smell. Its not old enough to go down straightaway so its a stack it in heap till end next year. 

poppies

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 14:10 »

How did you find someone willing to deliver for that price?  Bargain I say.  At present Im looking at paying a stingey farm about 8 miles away £25 for a small car-boot full.  Not ideal.  Any tips on finding local farms / stables willing to deliver much appreciated.
[/quote]

Hi do you have a free paper for your area sometimes you can find it advertised in there or put an advert in  asking for some, all the local stables near us give it away or  charge  £10 to deliver a trailer load

lightyears

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 14:33 »
A chap on my site arranged mine, £20, if your in the norwich area and want some give me a PM and i might be able to arrange some.Remember 2 tons is a lot of muck

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 15:30 »
I'm not sure how much 2 ton is in volume, but I recently had a manure spreader load of free chicken poo dumped at my house. Frtunately I have road access (live on a corner lot) and he dumped it sort of close to my garden. But I still had to barrow load it all over the place - very exhausting work when your property is on a slope. Downhill parts were fine, but the uphills nearly did me in  :(  I figure about 40 barrow loads so far and there's at least 10 more left for next spring. Now if you want stinky, try fresh chicken poo. Really clears the sinuses.  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 15:53 »
Oooooh I think I'll pass on that thank you! The well rotted stuff I had delivered 2 years ago was stinky enough  :tongue2:  :lol:

lightyears

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 19:43 »
I'm not sure how much 2 ton is in volume, but I recently had a manure spreader load of free chicken poo dumped at my house. Frtunately I have road access (live on a corner lot) and he dumped it sort of close to my garden. But I still had to barrow load it all over the place - very exhausting work when your property is on a slope. Downhill parts were fine, but the uphills nearly did me in  :(  I figure about 40 barrow loads so far and there's at least 10 more left for next spring. Now if you want stinky, try fresh chicken poo. Really clears the sinuses.  :lol:

it is a nissan cabby van full to the top(high sides), between me and my helper it was about 150 barrow loads, maybe more.much easyier when there is two of you.

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 20:54 »
well i get all mine for free from the stables opposet my house lovley stuff i use it for the plot of land that we own for growing veg ect im starting preparation hopefully next week as iv got the whole week  of :D but as long as the rain stays of its all hunky doorie.

xx
Just what do I do with five tons of manure?

Started by 4 Candles on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 08:25
by si-mate
xx
Veg gdn take tons of time! Any ideas for a 14hr shift worker

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2007, 21:58
by splodger

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 38 queries.