George's shed!

• 519 Replies

A. Fallowfield

Re: George's shed!
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2010, 22:03 »
hi fallowfield  tell george ive got some glass  5ft by 2 ft  4mm about 40 left if he  wants them  ok bob

I'll tell him, but he drives a hard bargain, not close by are you bob?

ciderman

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2010, 17:43 »
hi fallowfield im in doncaster the glass is free  ok bob

Snoop

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2010, 14:35 »
Once he gets it moving - I'm worried how it will ever stop, without shaking all the glass out.  It will be like stopping a train  ... :ohmy:

That looks right heavy, says my partner as he looks at the photo. What George needs is a winch so that he can hand-crank it along. Best, so he says, would be a spindle at either end, so the winch is pulling on a loop and there's no run-away train effect. High-density rubber buffers at each end should do the job. If George doesn't like the hand winch idea, maybe he could adapt a powered garage door mechanism if he has mains electricity.

He also adds how about a microswitch at either end to operate 12-volt lights, sprinklers, fan, heaters and shutter blinds through relays?

My partner also asks: has George thought about lightning conduction?!

As you can see, George's sheds and greenhouses have tickled my OH's imagination. He says he's very interested in the progress of the greenhouse on wheels, so I hope this thread will run and run, though not off its rails.  :lol:

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2010, 15:02 »
I'm off the plot still with a bad hip, but George rang me last night to get him a glass cutter and some bolts from the local market which is on my doorstep. He was very interested in the glass offer and might consider it thanks! He weighed up the cost of glass against the ammount of diesel he would use in his truck going to Doncaster! :D
  We don't have mains electricity on our allotments, but I'll bet George has considered buffers and winches! ::)

I'm going to have another days rest, I don't want to be incapacitated just before planting starts, so more pics Monday with luck!

8doubles

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2010, 15:47 »
Once he gets it moving - I'm worried how it will ever stop, without shaking all the glass out.  It will be like stopping a train  ... :ohmy:

That looks right heavy, says my partner as he looks at the photo. What George needs is a winch so that he can hand-crank it along. Best, so he says, would be a spindle at either end, so the winch is pulling on a loop and there's no run-away train effect. High-density rubber buffers at each end should do the job. If George doesn't like the hand winch idea, maybe he could adapt a powered garage door mechanism if he has mains electricity.

He also adds how about a microswitch at either end to operate 12-volt lights, sprinklers, fan, heaters and shutter blinds through relays?

My partner also asks: has George thought about lightning conduction?!

A bit OTT for a power source  :) although with the sliding house it could be part of a Dr Frankensteins Tomato Experiment.  MMmwwwaaahaha.

Lottieluv

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2010, 20:23 »
George seems to have it all .  Bet he hasn't got a ride on carpet tho or a crane. Made of leafs. Or a choclate pot .     :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2010, 10:17 »
So.... when does George's first book on recycling for growing come out?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2010, 12:35 »
So.... when does George's first book on recycling for growing come out?

Don't think he'd have time to write it!
I told him all about Freecycle the other day, George's wife has a computer but he doesn't bother with it, he said he'd best keep away from that otherwise he'd need bigger premises to store all the freebies! :lol:

madcat

« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2010, 12:40 »
How's the hip today?  Feeling a bit better??
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lottieluv

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2010, 13:03 »
I know a old bloke that died now but used to get every electrical item off free cycle do it up and give it too single perents on benifits e.g fridges . T.vs microwaves. .  I felt sorry for him he had great intensions but no one wanted the stuff he had repaired . He had filled his 4 bedroom house his wife left him and he slept in his kitchen as no room any where else it just all got on top of him way to much stuff . Near the end of his life I helped try and clear his house we took over 300 ovens to the scrap yard and 40 microwaves the fridges the concill picked up it was so sad to see it happen as he was so up set he was trying to help people but in the end it was him that needed the help.  He had re morgiged his house to pay for parts to  mend the electircal stuff  . He was in such a state bless him . That free cycles good but it can take over peoples lifes . 

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2010, 16:17 »
Thanks for asking Madcat, but it still hurts like hell. I'll see if I can get to see a doctor tomorrow! :(

That's a sad tale Lotytieluv, but I don't think George is headed that way! He doesn't like giving things away! :D

Made it to the lottie this afternoon, George had gone home, but the greenhouse is on its rails and moved! :ohmy: Forgot to take my camera.

Lottieluv

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2010, 16:43 »
What is the idea of haveing it on rails ??? Looks good and to be fair if there was one on our lottie then it would be a major talking point .

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2010, 15:31 »
Called at the lotties on a detour from the doc's (pain killers in pocket!) George is making bracing for the roof timbers of the tracked greenhouse! :)

Pushed east and over his (would you believe) aquilegias....

Helped him to push it back.and it goes very smoothly. He says it will only need to be moved twice a year! ::)

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2010, 16:21 »
This is the most wonderful thread. My OH will be so impressed when he gets to read it. He is a bit of a fettler (mends allsorts of stuff for me). I love the idea of the greenhouse - just a very large cloche when you think about it.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Paul Plots

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2010, 18:46 »
He's a clever bloke is our George......

Isambard Kingdom Brunel eat your heart out!!  ;)

xx
Shed painting: what colour is your shed (resolve a domestic)

Started by fekq on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 19:47
by BestBreast
xx
New bike shed/ tool shed build

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 20:12
by Dopey113
xx
help with fence panel shed/potting shed

Started by peppa on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:30
by poultrygeist
xx
New Shed

Started by Scatty on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 08:29
by David.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.