George's shed!

• 519 Replies

Snoop

Re: George's shed!
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2010, 18:38 »
OK, my partner says "a greenhouse on rails, what a great idea, the man's a genius". He also wants to know how the compost steriliser works...

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2010, 19:20 »
OK, my partner says "a greenhouse on rails, what a great idea, the man's a genius". He also wants to know how the compost steriliser works...

I'll get some pics of the greenhouse, but the compost steriliser, well he's explained it to me a couple of times but I still don't understand! I must ask again! :blink:

Snoop

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2010, 21:32 »
I don't suppose, A. Fallowfield, that you are in fact George, are you?!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2010, 21:35 »
That has crossed my mind too Snoop  :lol:

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2010, 22:27 »
When I wanted a lotty last year, George is the man who told the commitee I was standing at the gate with a fork over my shoulder! ::) I did bring a bottle of turbo cider to the plots for a couple of the old timers to try! :blink:
He's not a man to part with anything, but he found me a barrow in his collection, given me various bits of timber and a few plants!

This is my modest shed made from a dog kennel!

Paul Plots

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2010, 01:05 »
Posh job - nice barrow!  ;)

definitely barking up the right tree…. neat, tidy and no piles of "useful things" taking over the growing space  ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:07 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Snoop

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30 »
This is my modest shed made from a dog kennel!

I agree with Learner - that is some posh barrow. So shiny it's hard to believe it's seen any dirt.

I have to say, though, I'm still not convinced you're not George. If your shed was once a dog kennel, it sure was a tall dog! Looks more like an allotment loo, with the green shield to show it's vacant.

Only joking of course, it's a great shed.

I'd suggest looking up Diogenes Syndrome in Wikipedia, but George would be insulted by the implications...

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2010, 09:11 »
There is another one of our plot holders on the forum who, up until yesterday, I had only spoken to by pm! I shook hands with him yesterday, he's kindly getting me some manure! ::) He's known George much longer than I have, but hadn't spotted this thread! :D

PS. The dogs are big, they can easily rest their paws on your shoulders without stretching too much! :ohmy:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:14 by A. Fallowfield »

madcat

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2010, 09:30 »
You want to get George to help you with your paving.  His was lovely and flat ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2010, 16:37 »
You want to get George to help you with your paving.  His was lovely and flat ....

He's a retired builder, I was only a grease monkey! :D

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 17:36 »
http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/Flatters_photos/?action=view&current=cd78fd51.pbw

The compost steriliser explained:
The main drum sits on a fire pit excavated in the ground and lined with bricks; a flue is situated behind the barrel. Slide1.
The barrel then has 6 to 8 inches (I think) of water in the bottom; a stand (like a big trivet) is then inserted and the bags of spent compost packed on top. Slide 2.A thick stick is poked down one side to facilitate topping up and measuring the water level, and a heavy cover on top of the barrel.
It was found that the fire drew very well and the flue became red hot, so an improvised heat exchanger was built around that part of the flue! George being George, realised he had somewhere to cook his pasties! Slide 3.
The steamed compost is ready when it is too hot to handle, although George can tell by the aroma it gives off!
It is then transferred to a sieve. Slide 4. Job done!

The other pics are of the greenhouse on tracks project, and a privileged look inside the “shed” at the new cooking arrangements!

Snoop

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2010, 20:48 »
Thank you. I haven't looked at the pictures yet, but I'll be making sure that the powers-that-be do.

clarkey95

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2010, 20:44 »
just looked on the photos and i cant believe that all of it is on a allotment it doesnt even look like an allotment  :nowink:

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2010, 21:29 »
just looked on the photos and i cant believe that all of it is on a allotment it doesnt even look like an allotment  :nowink:

Well now you mention it............
amazingly he produces a lot of edibles and is something of an authority on flowers!
His greenhouses are ready for the season and he was busy today, weeding, scratching his head about his tracked greenhouse, and filling potholes in the plots roadway. He was there when I arrived just before twelve, and still busy when I left at five! :ohmy:
He's well over seventy! ???

Snoop

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2010, 21:36 »
Right, well, the powers-that-be (hereinafter PTB) have looked at the photos and declared that they still don't know how the compost steriliser works. Who am I to argue?

So the PTB entered George and shed in Google as search terms. 5,680,000 hits there were, and guess what came in at number two? This thread! So the conclusion must surely be that more information is required by George's and A. Fallowfield's adoring public. I'll look at the pictures and see what I can make of them, but a full report ought to be presented, there's no doubt about that.

Apparently hit no. 1 is some kind of political stuff (described in ruder terms by the PTB), and hit no. 3 is a George with a tidy shed. Pah!

xx
Shed painting: what colour is your shed (resolve a domestic)

Started by fekq on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 19:47
by BestBreast
xx
help with fence panel shed/potting shed

Started by peppa on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:30
by poultrygeist
xx
New bike shed/ tool shed build

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 20:12
by Dopey113
xx
My new shed??

Started by summer-sun on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 19:40
by Swee'pea

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.