George's shed!

• 519 Replies

A. Fallowfield

Re: George's shed!
« Reply #285 on: January 06, 2011, 18:45 »
George's back on the plot today after a months hibernation. He's full of new ideas, and has been planning a joint enterprise with his neighbour to make a double glazed fairly draught proof "greenhouse" to bring plants on early.
He's been considering frugal ways to heat it, and wants to know if anyone has ever tried using old cooking oil? I have heard of adapting an oil fired boiler, any ideas would be wecome!
He let something slip today.... born in 1935! :ohmy:

Trillium

« Reply #286 on: January 06, 2011, 21:06 »
I was just thinking about George yesterday and wondering what he's been up to lately.

sorry, no experience with used cooking oil but I remember Dick Strawbridge used it to convert into car fuel. I doubt that's what George wants, but it's a start.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2011, 21:06 »
Waste veggie oil will burn but as it has a low viscosity (is less runny) than normal fuel oil it usually needs to be warmed up somehow before it can be burned in a device designed for normal oils. Not much help to George but from what little I have read whilst converting a diesel car engine is relativley straight forward, getting it to burn in a greenhouse heater could prove far more difficult. The green house will be cold , that's why your heating it, so how to warm the oil first is going to be quite a challenge. But as George seems to be a dab hand at finding a way I have every confidence that if it can be done, George is the man for the job.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 21:08 by stentman »
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Trillium

« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2011, 18:25 »
That's right, stentman. I remember talking with a fellow here who converts cooking oil to 'diesel' and he said it's useless in winter as the oil will solidify enough to clog the works rather than work. Without some pre-heating, same as trucks use with 'hot boxes', it's not worth the effort. Nice that George is thinking green, but at times it just isn't practical.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2011, 22:27 »
George has just re-polyed his nine year old poly- tunnel as only George could! :)
Large double glazing units have appeared from the depths of his shed to make an 'inner sanctum' for seedlings. I have been offered a reserved space in this sweat box because I go early and could check the, as yet drawing board, heating arrangements! ;)
Must take some pics!

Trillium

« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2011, 04:05 »
I know we love pix of George's endeavors LOL

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2011, 17:23 »
George is now in full flow! His polytunnel "inner sanctum" is now under construction. :ohmy:
The greenhouse on rails does the job it was intended for, and work is under way clearing inner sections of his infamous shed. This was hindered by an ancient wall inside the shed leaning over at a dodgy angle! But George's ex-builder expertese came in handy! :D

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #292 on: February 21, 2011, 20:04 »
At last he's got back to the shed (all cultivated ares prepared) this is the lttle seen inside, little seen because it was difficult to get into! :lol:
A instalation of a set of drawers is in progress to take many sundry items, and to his right the cooker/oven is slowly appearing from under a pile of debris.
The ladder is for access to the attic wood store! 8)

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #293 on: February 21, 2011, 21:02 »
A shed with ladder access to an attic wood store  :ohmy: that's one heck of a two storey shed. Any other wonders yet be revealed to assembled masses?

SkipRat

« Reply #294 on: February 21, 2011, 21:54 »
Only just found this thread, and have just spent a very enjoyable 20 minutes or so reading it. We are missing characters like George in this crazy, pc corrective, health and safety mad country. George comes across as his own man, who lives his own life as he see,s fit whether this fits in with the "norm" or not,  he also comes across as a bloke who would do anyone a good turn if he could. His plot may seem a bit of a clutter to some but to old George I recon its perfect. Keep up the good work sir, looks like your enjoying your life and long may it continue.... :) :) :)
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Knight Family

« Reply #295 on: February 22, 2011, 06:37 »
He reminds me of my uncle Len who retired at the age of 90! But still keeps going even now at 96!

God bless people like this, if they weren't around it would be boring!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #296 on: February 24, 2011, 18:02 »
Just another teaser from "the shed". Everything including the kitchen sink, and the middle bit will include an oven and a hob! The wall is original pigsty! :ohmy:

madcat

« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2011, 18:07 »
He is definitely moving out from home!  what does a man need other than a place to cool his beer, cook his bacon buttie (well, it is / was a pigsty!) and sleep?  Where is the bed going?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

suze

« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2011, 19:02 »
I think it's absolutly fantastic i like to recycle too but i am humbled good on you george !!

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2011, 20:04 »
Forgot to mention I'm having an open house, or at least open shed and polytunnel tomorrow as I can then draw my pension. George is coming on the bus so he can sample the scotch and not drive, he's always wittering about sloppy ham at funerals, so I've got some real ham off the bone from the best place in town to cheer him up! :D

xx
Shed painting: what colour is your shed (resolve a domestic)

Started by fekq on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 19:47
by BestBreast
xx
help with fence panel shed/potting shed

Started by peppa on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:30
by poultrygeist
xx
New bike shed/ tool shed build

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 20:12
by Dopey113
xx
what do you think to this shed?

Started by Snap Dragon on Design and Construction

41 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 23:06
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 37 queries.