Garden Plot Size

• 1 Replies

Divinity

Garden Plot Size
« on: October 20, 2009, 17:08 »
Hi All.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I am preparing my garden in plots of 4 as suggested by experts.

These plots will be 8ft x 17ft. Do you think this is too big for a plot?

I havent come up with a crop rotation yet, but i want to be growing cabbages, lettuces, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, celery, peas, cucumbers, strawberries. Obviously I will grow other stuff as well.

From what i can gather, each plot has its own catagory, Rooted, Leafy, Fruit etc, and when you harvest that plot you change the plot number for the next season, is this correct?

I am also a little confused, as i dont know how much space I need to grow my Potatoes, and Carrots, I mean....does one seed produce 1 potato, or do you get 4? Same with carrots?

Also, I noticed a lot of things should be planted outside in April / May, and they are harvested in September time. When i harvest my crops, do I have to wait until April again? Or can you replant different varieties of crops, so you have a continuous crop?

Sorry to be such a newbie  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Garden Plot Size
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 17:50 »
Hi Divinity and don't worry about the newbie questions - we all have to start somewhere!  :D

Hi All.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I am preparing my garden in plots of 4 as suggested by experts.

These plots will be 8ft x 17ft. Do you think this is too big for a plot?

If they are not raised beds, that should be OK but you will need to walk on them to harvest and hoe etc.  4' is said to be the optimum width if you don't want to walk on the beds.  My beds are about the same size as you suggest and it doesn't cause me too many problems - and reduces the need for wasting space on paths between smaller beds.

I havent come up with a crop rotation yet, but i want to be growing cabbages, lettuces, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, celery, peas, cucumbers, strawberries. Obviously I will grow other stuff as well.

From what i can gather, each plot has its own catagory, Rooted, Leafy, Fruit etc, and when you harvest that plot you change the plot number for the next season, is this correct?

Have a look here for articles about crop rotation.  Basically you group together plants of the same family and grow them together, moving them around the area each year.  The exception of course is permanent planting like soft fruit, asparagus etc.

I am also a little confused, as i dont know how much space I need to grow my Potatoes, and Carrots, I mean....does one seed produce 1 potato, or do you get 4? Same with carrots?

It depends on the crop you're talking about.  One potato seed tuber grows into one plant which produces lots of eating spuds; most other plants are one seed one plant.  Spacing depends on the crop; I'd suggest a good book (look for John's books on the main website).

Also, I noticed a lot of things should be planted outside in April / May, and they are harvested in September time. When i harvest my crops, do I have to wait until April again? Or can you replant different varieties of crops, so you have a continuous crop?

You can often plant stuff after harvesting one crop - the most common one is leeks going in after you've harvested early spuds.  There is also a benefit in allowing the soil to rest fallow over winter from time to time.  I'm not too well up on growing stuff over winter so can't really advise. 

One thing I would add to your comment re planting times, is that in most areas of the country you should not plant out too early - in April / May you are still prone to frosts and early June is a safer bet.  Have a look here for a useful chart.

Sorry to be such a newbie  :D

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty
xx
optimum plot size

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 22:09
by Madame Cholet
xx
New garden plot

Started by khelashi on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 19:24
by shokkyy
xx
new back garden plot.

Started by fish on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 18:11
by sion01

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 36 queries.