ginger

• 18 Replies

gurtie

• The only bug allowed on my allotment !
ginger
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:07 »
has anyone had any experience with ginger (and i mean the plant not the hair colour.)
they keep saying its getting warmer do you know if it would grow?

RichardA

Re: ginger
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:23 »
I have grown it in a pot in the greenhouse in the summer. All I did was let a piece of shop bought ginger root get a little moist and warm and then when it showed signs of a shoot I planted it. It grow into a much bigger root but did not keep well, shrivelled up in the fridge. Perhaps I did it all wrong but it did grow.
R

gurtie

• The only bug allowed on my allotment !
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 13:30 »
thanks, sounds like one to give amiss but i like to give the odd things a try. i have got a mango growing at the moment on a window sill and i dont even like mangos!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 13:52 »
Hi Gurtie,

I have tried similar, some time ago,  to Richard's test and grown some ginger root indoors, with very limited success. Its kind of dear to buy, so it probably is worth a proper try with the right growing conditions. This seems to be quite helpful:

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-ginger.html

..might even give it a go myself.

Lorna.  :)

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 14:39 »
lemon grass from seed went well, if you want something else to try
R

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 15:26 »
Now that's handy Richard! Its as dear if not even dearer to buy than ginger and that's if you can even get the stuff in the shops round here  :dry:.  I enjoy cooking light, tasty Asian style food using such ingredients as ginger, chilli, lemongrass etc.

Thanks for the tip.

Lorna.  :)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 16:18 »
We can grow ginger in Canada but its all under shaded screening as ginger detests sunlight. Perhaps that was the problem - too much sun.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 22:45 »
Tried it this year with a piece out of the kitchen that appeared to have a strong sprout.  Put it in the green house and it failed.  Must have been the diret sunlight.    Will try again with shade.  Thanks for the tip.

crh75

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 09:49 »
lemon grass from seed went well, if you want something else to try
R

I have a lemongrass growing that I started from a fresh stalk from the supermarket.  I popped it in a glass of water on the windowsil and a few weeks later there were a few roots. Planted it in some compost and it is now sitting on my windowsil. It is starting to get quite large.
Apparently you can use the leaf for teas as well as the stalk in food.

savbo

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:17 »
Doesn't Bob Flowerdew recommend growing them in a bucket of sand?

I grew some a few years ago, lovely foliage but then overwatered and rotted the lot off  :(
M

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 13:26 »
looking at growing both lemon grass and ginger next year. We've been to Thailand a couple of times and the in-laws go to south east asia every year. The mother in law makes some great thai food so if I can get it growing i'll be in everybodies good books (and might get invited round for dinner)!

By the by theres a great thai cocktail that includes lemon grass and lychees - it doesn't even taste like alcohol - could drink it all day long (well maybe not as it's quite strong - the legs might stop working). lol

Cazzy

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 21:13 »
I tried using some supermarket ginger too with no luck but i'm not gonna give up, I use it at least once per week and that warrants growing it I'm sure.

I've managed to root some lemongrass i'll put it outside after the frost and hope for the best so I'd love that cocktail recipe if you fancy sharing Bluedave?
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 23:32 »
Here you go - all the inside info... And they really do mean filtered light, almost shady.

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-ginger.html

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:06 »
I tried using some supermarket ginger too with no luck but i'm not gonna give up, I use it at least once per week and that warrants growing it I'm sure.

I've managed to root some lemongrass i'll put it outside after the frost and hope for the best so I'd love that cocktail recipe if you fancy sharing Bluedave?

I don't remember exactly what was in it - i've e-mailed the hotel though so fingers crossed for a reply!

Heres a nice non alcoholic alternative though - we were served this when we checked in:

http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/thai-lemongrass-ginger-iced-tea

Cazzy

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 14:02 »
Thanks for the link trillium, looks like cooler climates are no good for growing ginger, i'll still give it a go in the greenhouse though.

Bluedave that ginger and lemongrass iced tea sounds delish, i'm gonna give that a try too.  Hope you get the recipe for the stronger stuff  8)

xx
Ginger in the UK?

Started by Calou on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 04:19
by mushroom
xx
Ginger

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 14:37
by mumofstig
xx
Ginger

Started by jimroden on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 12:16
by gobs
xx
Ginger

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 10:02
by lucywil

Page created in 0.843 seconds with 37 queries.