advice re fussy hens

• 8 Replies

browntrouty

advice re fussy hens
« on: October 19, 2009, 09:52 »
My hens really dont seem to like the layers pellets and mixed corn i put down for them, so it just goes stale/soft, then dog eats it. I also boiled up some peelings (parsnip, sweet potato) they didnt like that. They do however like cold pizza, naan bread, cake crumbs and bovril on toast. They dont get this stuff often so it isnt why they dont eat pellets. Are they just on a diet. They are free range in my smallish garden.

agapanthus

Re: advice re fussy hens
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58 »
The only way to get them to take their pellets is to stop all treats. It sounds harsh but they will learn  ;) ;)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:59 »
Have you tried mash?

My girls are fussy too but they do eat the mash. I will say it is a bit messy and you do get waste I'm afraid.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:22 »
maybe they do eat pellets when you're not looking!  I agree tho, don't give them anything else, the pellets are all-round nutritionally good for them and they should have them as the main part of their diet.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:38 »
Our hens didn't like the pellets either and so we mixed layer mash (ground up pellets) with porridge oats and a sprinkle of Poultry Spice, mixed with some hot water LET TO COOL.  We made it pretty soupy.  They love it!  It may take them all morning to eat it all, but they all get stuck in right away. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 13:18 »
i have to say my girls are very good at eating there layers pellets but see when it rains and some of there food gets wet they go crazy for it.   nickyx

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 21:18 »
They do seem to like it wet - these colder mornings, I'm making up a bowl of layers mash with a few ex-batt pellets in it with hot water ... they are so funny to watch as all four go at it at the same time!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Angus

• Skyechi
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 21:35 »
LOL
we did have this problem and we followed advice from here now they pellets from a feeder all day long and lay more eggs too ::)   just give them pellets not so much waste and they get a balanced diet and do not treat them for a while until they know they won't get owt else it is hard but like people have said ti works ;) good luck

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:08 »
If their diet has just changed abruptly to layers pellets it's not surprising they aren't eating it.  Any change needs to be gradual.  If you have their previous feed try mixing it with the pellets.   I'd persist with dry pellets as using wet mash may be more acceptable to them but it's more work for you. Wet food shouldn't be left around for long as it quickly becomes mouldy and can cause very serious problems.  Hence it can't be used ad lib like dry food.  So if you feed wet food make sure you remove any waste and left overs after they have been fed.

Dry food should be kept under cover so it doesn't get wet from rain and if it does it needs to be discarded.  When you say "put down for them" do you mean you are just scattering it on the ground?  If so I'd suggest you don't do this with pellets but feed from a gravity fed hopper feeder which is kept suspended under cover and makes the pellets always available to them.  Scattering dry food on the ground is a significant health risk from contaminating the feed with droppings and worm eggs, encouraging moulds and vermin.   Even scattering corn should only be done on cleanish ground.  I've never heard of chx who don''t go mad for mixed corn so are you sure it's not stale or mouldy?

Regards
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:20 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
fussy eater - advice needed please

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 18:34
by loretta cluck
xx
fussy rat

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:33
by joyfull
xx
Am i too fussy

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 15:27
by Lost in France
xx
fussy girls!

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:41
by SMD66

Page created in 0.725 seconds with 36 queries.