egg bound / liquid parafin

• 9 Replies

karlooben

egg bound / liquid parafin
« on: October 18, 2009, 19:14 »
if a chock was egg bound could you use liquid parafin and if yes would you place it down thier thoat ??? . i have one that is possiably egg bound and i have soaked her in warm water an also put some oil in her vent , shes very bright most the time but has stood quiet as well this afternoon  at the mo shes in the quantine shed with deep straw bedding to keep her warm and nothing had come out of her this afternoon .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: egg bound / liquid parafin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 19:18 »
Definitly not down their throat Looby.  There is no conection between the digestive tract and the egg laying system.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 19:24 »
its not something i would dream of doing but i was talking to sarah about it today and i know we put it down the thoat of horses with colic but nethier of us know how it worked with  chickens .  a good post i suppose it warns ppl not to make this mistake . i am really praying my girl aint egg bound but i can certainly feel something there fingers crossed the oil works  :D

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 19:31 »
:D That's that sorted Looby :D

How was she when you left her?

Sarah :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 19:34 »
Liquid parafin would be better up the other end but really only a smidge if you can tell there is an egg there. Don't think it would be a good idea if you are not sure about what is going on. Something I've heard can help is liquid calcium as it helps muscle contraction and obviously forming a healthy egg which they find easier to pass.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 19:36 »
:D That was my suggestion Kate :)

A vet will give an injection of Calcium to relax the muscles :) Looby says there is something quite big there and bathing her hasn't helped :(

If she is still like that in the morning you may have to get her to the vets Looby :(

Sarah :D

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 20:08 »
she seemed ok when i left her if anything more annoyed about being on her own { doesnt help shes moutling } , i wont really be able to check her over properly until i go back out to them at 10 am as at 6,30 when they go out its way to dark to do anything , what i felt earlier today certainly felt like  an egg but it wasnt in the middle as i thought it mite of been it was more to one side but i suppose thats possiable . if she hasnt got better tomorw afternoon then i shall call the vets right away  :D and get her checked over . what i wouldnt give to have someone close by who knows what they are doing to check her for me the ppl i do know have never dealt with an egg bound bird  :( so they would not be able to help me .

Vember

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 20:10 »
Normally they stop laying when they are moulting Looby ???

Think the vets is your best bet :D

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 20:17 »
i am really learning that one sarah eggs numbers have dropped quite a lot , the reason why i think shes egg bound is she was standing in the nest tray as if she wanted to sit to lay but could not she must of been in there for a few hours at least as i was going of doing things but checking her every 30 mins or so  :unsure: my girls never normally just stand in the trays as they aint the more comfortable of things  :lol: .... fingers crossed shes better tomorw but now i just wish i had added some more straw its getting so chilly but at least her feathers were dry from the bath by the time i locked them up .

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 18:36 »
my girl seems so much better today  :D so far i dont think shes egg bound but i still dont know if shes laided or not as she got back in with the others this morning my quanatine fencing needs sorting out again .

xx
possible egg bound

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 20:20
by karlooben
xx
EGG BOUND

Started by barley on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 17:02
by grinling
xx
Please Help - Egg Bound?

Started by gallopscarrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 22:21
by Foxy
xx
Is she egg bound?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 08:50
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 36 queries.