Poorly Chook!

• 3 Replies

ChrisTheNewbie

Poorly Chook!
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:36 »
Hi all

I'm a first time poster in need of help!

We got some hens about four weeks ago. Two Sussex (Nigella and Delia) and one Pekin bantam (Betty). At first Betty, although smaller than the others seemed to assert her authority and be leading the group. Lately though one of the others seems to have taken over and Betty's getting pushed about a bit, though it's not bad enough to draw blood or anything.

For the last couple of days Betty has not been herself (listless, hunching up and not really doing much). Her comb looks pale but there's no discharge from her eyes or nose. I must confess that being new to this I'm not sure what to look for when checking her vent, etc. Do you think she's poorly or is it because she's being picked on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

Vember

Re: Poorly Chook!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:57 »
Hi Chris

Welcome to the Hen House :)

How old is Betty? Has she laid at all since you've had her ?

She doesn't sound well :(

Have you seen her eating & drinking ?

Sarah :)

ChrisTheNewbie

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:02 »
Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure exactly how old she is, but I know she'd started laying not long before we got her. She laid twice in the first few days and then stopped. We'd put it down to the shock of moving to a new place and assumed she will start again in her own time.

She has been eating and drinking, but it's been difficult to keep an eye on how much. We moved her away from the other two yesterday and gave her some food and water of her own and she seemed to perk up and was quickly trying to get back in with the group.

She seems herself this morning and is marauding around the garden again! Hopefully she was just a bit under the weather and is better now but we'll keep a close eye one her and see how she gets on. Do you think there's any symptoms in particular we need to keep an eye out for?

Cheers

Chris

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 13:17 »
Glad she's perked up a bit Chris :)

The symptoms you described sounded similar to a hen who's going to lay a soft shelled egg, they go very withdrawn, stand around, not eating etc... Make sure they have plenty of oyster shell down and don't feed too many treats. Maybe add an extra feeder to make sure she isn't being pushed out by the other two :)

She may of stopped laying for this year :( But keep an eye on her :)

Sarah :)

xx
Poorly chook

Started by djt on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:25
by grumpydad
xx
poorly chook

Started by gregs1972 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 22:49
by Foxy
xx
Help - poorly chook!

Started by Arnfields on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 21:06
by judrop
xx
poorly chook

Started by atsndave on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:34
by henamoured

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 36 queries.