Shed Alarms

• 31 Replies

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Shed Alarms
« on: October 16, 2009, 16:47 »
Since 19 sheds got broken into on my site i was thinking about getting a shed alarm. What are your views on these, anybody use one and are they any good.

Cheers Paul
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

gypsy

Re: Shed Alarms
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 17:11 »
Will there be anyone close enough to hear the alarm if you installed one? My allotment is too far away from the streets for anyone to hear an alarm, if anyone did hear it I do not think they would bother about a shed being broken into. CC
Catherine

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 19:41 »
Will there be anyone close enough to hear the alarm if you installed one? My allotment is too far away from the streets for anyone to hear an alarm, if anyone did hear it I do not think they would bother about a shed being broken into. CC

I know what you mean, there are houses about 30m away but i dont expect anyone to respond to it, its more of a hope that they will scarper if they set it off.

Paul

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 21:25 »
i had a mate who's allotment wasent in the nicest of places and they got broken into so often they just kept the doors of the sheds open. in my opinion dont bother putting a lock on it shows that there somethink worth a look at for em scallys .
best regards
PP

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 22:40 »
I managed to find, by chance, a battery operated alarm with a sensor. [B&Q] Cost £1 so I couldn't resist it.   :)

I bought it with the garage in mind as it's at the end of the garden a fair distance from the house - but haven't put it in place yet.

If there had been two in the "reduced bin" I would have bought a 2nd for the shed on the plot. As you say I'm not sure who would respond to its wail unless there was a fellow allotmenteer nearby with a mobile phone.

I think the alarm will go in the garage as its contents is more valuable than the sheds and I would hear it if it went off. Garages around our way broken into a few weeks ago - they left mine alone this time round but.... other than 240 volts on the door handle (by mistake) the alarm might make a difference!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 12:43 »
i was thinking about personal alarms where you pull the cord out. if you put a nail in on one side of the door then put the alarm close to it they hook the pull string onto the nail.
sorry for the bad explanation im not so good at explaining things im more of a practical guy

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 19:55 »
i was thinking about personal alarms where you pull the cord out. if you put a nail in on one side of the door then put the alarm close to it they hook the pull string onto the nail.
sorry for the bad explanation im not so good at explaining things im more of a practical guy

Makes sense to me....

Sounds a good diea especially if the alarms are cheap. I might think about that for making my very heavy old rotovator safer as it is a real pain having to push it down to the plot and then home again for safety. An alarm wired on to it and then fixed into the wood-work of the shed might make the little b***s think twice when it goes off!!!

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42 »

Makes sense to me....

Sounds a good diea especially if the alarms are cheap. I might think about that for making my very heavy old rotovator safer as it is a real pain having to push it down to the plot and then home again for safety. An alarm wired on to it and then fixed into the wood-work of the shed might make the little b***s think twice when it goes off!!!

Mine is in my shed too, but ive remove the bolt that connects the handlebars to the body so they are loose with the cable attached. It is rather heavy and would be verk awkward to move that way, may remove the wheels too.

Paul

noshed

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 21:28 »
A ground anchor and a long chain might help
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:17 »

Thats an idea but my shed is sat on a base of concrete slabs. I suppose i could bolt 2 metal plates together, one outside to one inside, and a if the inside plate has a fixing point i could use that.

Paul

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 13:04 »

Thats an idea but my shed is sat on a base of concrete slabs. I suppose i could bolt 2 metal plates together, one outside to one inside, and a if the inside plate has a fixing point i could use that.

Paul

I considered some type of ground anchor but the merchants that shop for free on our site bring bolt cutters during their bi-annual visits. They slice through hasps on sheds and throw the padlocks into the plots. It'd need to be some pretty hefty cable or chain.  :(

davethespread

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 18:35 »
thing is about alarming the shed down the allotment is,if it goes off,how far have you got to travel to turn it off in the middle of the night.we had a few break ins at our plot and more damage was caused to locked sheds than unlocked.so nobody keeps expensive gear in their sheds now,coz if they want to get in they will >:(
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 00:26 »
thing is about alarming the shed down the allotment is,if it goes off,how far have you got to travel to turn it off in the middle of the night.we had a few break ins at our plot and more damage was caused to locked sheds than unlocked.so nobody keeps expensive gear in their sheds now,coz if they want to get in they will >:(

This is so true - that's why I push my rotovator home after using it despite the weight and the half-hour walk each way.  :(

Remember Tracy Island from Thunderbirds? Now there's an idea for a shed  :lol: Although I think I'd go for a Munty bean-frame on top instead of palm trees!

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:09 »
I think i might just bring my rotovator home or maybe take the wheels off, ive already undone the handle bars and i imagine it would be to awkward to move

Paul

davethespread

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 19:59 »
i leave my rotovator in my shed,its got four prongs :D

xx
New Shed

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2016, 18:43
by The Red Baron
xx
BUY A 6X4 SHED

Started by Henry on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 22:18
by gowing238
xx
Shed! Nearly done...

Started by Heather_S on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 20:30
by John
xx
Shed help please

Started by themoog on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 22:29
by noshed

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.