sorting out a mudbath

• 7 Replies

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
sorting out a mudbath
« on: October 15, 2009, 19:50 »
  My girls have demolished the plants and greenery in the run and I am left with a mudbath :mad:

Dont want them to be wallowing in mud for the rest of the coming winter , SO , I am thinking of putting down Hessian backed carpet in the run to cover the mud and keep them clean and more importantly dry.

Im an organic gardener and know the arguments re, leaching dyes into the ground but would it work for the chook run ??

Alby
wish I was a cat

poultrygeist

Re: sorting out a mudbath
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 20:43 »
Hi alby

Could you put down bark chippings ?

Rob 8)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 21:07 »
and cover part of their run?

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 21:09 »
Yes, forgot to mention that lucylou ! :D

Rob 8)

poppies

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25 »
Hi I know the problem with mud we are on clay soil, but be careful the carpet dos'nt turn the soil sour where the air wont get to it the smell would be awful, what ever you do dont put straw down I did this last year and it turned into a sponge like matting that stopped the ground from drying out - I am going to try bark chippings this year

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:34 »
Hi,
    my plot is down a bridle path in the middle of the wilds, its a lovely place but exposed.

The run is 30yds by 10yds with two sheds for the girls one 8 x 6 the othe 10 x 6 , Ive still got the amber links seperated with a stretch of pen wire across the middle of the run, the whole thing is wired off to the ground with weld mesh ( 7ft high ) lots of fox,s so its well protected.
   Wood chip ? it would take a massive amount to get the run covered deep enough to make it mud free,
   Thought about covering some of it but again it would have to be a bit like a polly tunnel to keep the light for them as its already got high hedges to the west and south
  Ive got some photo,s somewhere , Ill see if I can give you a view of the set up.

Thanks all,   Alby 

Hopton Mitch

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:46 »
Alby,

My run is about 16' x 8' and I covered it with corugated clear plastic for about £60 (the rest of the set up has cost me about £700 mind.

Wikes is the cheapest place I found.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:55 »
corrugated plastic is really cheap, I use some in the winter to cover a winter shelter they have. On a nice winters day they can sunbathe under it too!
In that run I have type one on the base covered with a thick topping of soft wood chips mixed with bark. :)

xx
mudbath

Started by carrie676 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 21:48
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 36 queries.