When to restock

• 4 Replies

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
When to restock
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:45 »
I want to get four more girlies, perhaps have a go at bringing up chick's that would be fun and interesting.  Any ideas when would be the best time?  Also can anyone recommend a good book on raising youngsters.  I have the basic keeping chickens book thats recommended to all, but personally find it has more pages on different breeds than practical stuff.  Alison

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: When to restock
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 13:47 »
Chicks at this time of yr is a bit harder as they would have to be kept on heat for longer, it's much easier to do as the weather gets warmer, not colder.

don't know about books but there are lots of experienced people on here to give you advice.

It's best when introducing any new hens to run them along side each other at first so they get used to seeing each other before they can get too up close and personal! 

With chicks they should be almost the same size as the others before mixing them, hens can be quite nasty when they want to.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 16:24 »
we have just had some, but have them in a seperate run, they will need to stay there until they are about 16 weeks, or until they go onto layers pellets, as they are on growers at the moment, they all need to be on the same food before they are integrated.
whilst they are in the run, the older chucks have the run of the garden, so go all round them, and get to know them so hopefully when they are all together it will be a little easier.

martyn

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 22:12 »
for books go to [amazon ]or[ best keeping chickens books down the lane ]they have books on raising chickens

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 22:23 »
I'd personally wait for the spring.  ::)
I've got 3 week old ducklings and just feel that it's too late in the year for them to get a good start. For instance, I can't get them out on the grass every day as the weather isn't so good. They haven't feathered up yet and won't for a good few weeks yet. Then they'll moult and I'll worry that they'll be chilly again  :(
Keeping them indoors for longer means they pong  :ohmy:
I forgive them for this, of course, but I'm just saying I wouldn't have youngsters this late in the year again. Nature doesn't often produce babies this late in the year, either  :blink:
(But some of us do it all year round so it's personal preference)  :)

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 36 queries.