registering an selling eggs

• 22 Replies

karlooben

registering an selling eggs
« on: October 14, 2009, 18:29 »
pleasse help i have now been told by my council i must be licensed to sell my eggs do i have to pay for a licence does anyone know whats involved { long story short we have had probelms on the site an now ppl have complained an i am now being told after a year that i must be licensed } i cant call defra as they are not open so i need some help please. the council are worried over salomella etc which is why they want me licensed  but yet its ok for me to give me eggs away for free.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

Re: registering an selling eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 18:34 »
Can't be any real help Looby :(

But have you had a read on DEFRA's website?

There is some info here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalhealth/forms/library/EMR1.PDF

I know of a lady who is registered as a packing station, I'm sure she'd have a chat to you or you could email her ?

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 18:37 »
i have been on defras site an i find it all a bit confusing  :lol: but i have phoned before about registing and i told them i sell the eggs to other plot holders an they said nothing .

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 18:40 »
I know you can sell from your own garden as a 'farmgate' seller directly to the public and with no claims on quality.

It may be because of lotty rules about selling produce. You know what they're like about being sued too. If hey think they could be, they'll panic. ::)

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 18:42 »
Just wondering if you could give them away and avoid any rules. Maybe people could then give you some of their produce or some chicken feed they happen to have lying around, etc ?  :D

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 18:43 »
only part of that was section 4 . rest of it i dont need to worry about .

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 18:45 »
i know this is about the council being worried about being sued , we have a new woman on the council who is i cant swear on here but shes causing massive probs . most ppl wont give me anything in return and it costs me about £16 every two weeks to feed them .

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 19:09 »
I'm probably being daft but.. if you take the eggs home, then you can sell them from the gate and it isn't involving the allotments?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 19:23 »
i do take the eggs  home first and good point thats not being daft  , but they will look at it that the birds are on thier ground .my very dear farmer friend whos looking after my poorly girly knows someone very very very high up at trading standards who knows everyhting about anything of all laws etc ,tomorw hes going to pass on his number to me and i can then get this bloke to contact my council as i really dont think they will beleive me about being licenced .

i cant stress to you guys on how much trouble this new council woman is causing but its lots .

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 19:26 »
aslo this woman could force me to get rid of the birds or even cull them .... this is why i have to know everything there is to know before it gets out of hand .

Railside Rooster

• Newbie but on the way to self sufficiency...
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 19:29 »
If you're selling them direct to the public yourself you are OK, if you sell via someone else you need to register

Lucy

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 19:37 »
thankyou , rooster  :D  i am worried sick about all this  :( this week i have found out that other ppl with birds on my councils other sites have been neglectling them an leaving dead birds within the runs to just breed hell know what dieases etc an nothing via the council has been done , my girls live to the highest standand i can give them and i am getting picked on .

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 20:07 »
Providing you have been given full permission (which I know you have) and you are keeping them within the rules without sufficient complaint, I wouldn't have thought thre is much the lady can do to get rid of your chickens. She isn't the law and is merely an employee of the council with ideas above her station.
If you're threatened with anything, write a letter to her boss and complain. If nothing else, they can't do anything until investigated.
As for the egg selling, you'll have to check with your friend's friend about it but it sounds like it should be ok.
Don't allow them to bully you and don't panic. They're not as powerful as they like o think they are !  :D

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 20:14 »
thanku for making me feel better  :D, not that long ago the council told me they had had nothing but good feedback about my girls but now since certain couples { 2 couples only } have kicked up this storm things have changed big time , if u all had 2 hours to spare to write  it all  out via email to tell u  whats been happening but i cant do that  :lol: :lol: theres to much to it ... but this woman isnt to be trusted  >:( no matter what the situtation is

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 20:27 »
Find out which department of the council she is in, which service, then contact the director of service personally and lay a complaint of victimisation against her. The council must investigate and if she is exceeding her authority she will be soundly slapped.
If you are sure about your entitlement to have birds and this is sound then she has no case to complain about your enterprise.
Go to a higher level and make a fuss. Service directors may not know about individual employees and they generally get fairly upset about this sort of thing because it reflects badly on the council.
If you dont get satisfaction there then contact your ward elected member and out them in the picture.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

xx
selling the eggs

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 19:46
by muntjac
xx
selling eggs

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 17:27
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Selling eggs

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 17:18
by poultrygeist
xx
Selling eggs

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 00:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 29 queries.