Mites keep coming back

• 15 Replies

RebeccaM

Mites keep coming back
« on: October 13, 2009, 20:46 »
Hi,  We had mites, red/brown ones,in our coup a couple of months ago, bought some spray which seemed get rid of them for a while but they came back so bought some more spray.  When we first saw mites there were loads but now I can't actually see any but ever time I either collect eggs or clean out the coup I end seeing the little blighters on my arms or hands so there are definatley some still in the coup.

Can anyone suggest any other effective treatments rather than the mite spray ?  I was going to try the powder.  Do I need to put anything on the chickens. 

How often do I need to disinfect the coup ?   any help would be great.

poultrygeist

Re: Mites keep coming back
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 20:53 »
Hi rebecca. I'm presuming hey're red mites. :(

What spray have you used ?

Standard treatments include scrubbing out with Jeyes, then psraying everywhere with Poultryshield which can take 2 or 3 days of treating to kill them, then dusting with diatom which gets the stragglers.
Another product which is effective is Milbenex but this is quite expensive and is sometimes considered too potent as a first step.

Rob 8)

RebeccaM

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 20:56 »
Does it need to be jeyes or can I use any disinfecten ?   

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 21:07 »
I think any powerful disinfectant will do. As far as I know, it's to ensure there is no detritus remaining for the mites hide under.

A recent thread is here....
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=46061.0

I've never even seen a red mite but have read about them countless times on here.

Rob 8)

Little jack

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 21:09 »
Does it need to be jeyes or can I use any disinfecten ?   
Hi , ive used both before but they really didnt go until i started using the powder,i use " get rid "a organic red mite powder and dust the beds everyday and the chickens every 1 - 2 weeks(they dont like it).On top of that i have sealed up any gaps in the beds as thats where the mite's  live and wait for the hen's to go to bed. Now the red mite's have gone. ::) Good luck. Jackie

mumsy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 22:36 »
Red mite can live in the ground/grass for up to 9 months without feeding..keep up your husbandry.

tonethebone

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 12:08 »
Used Poultry Sheild yesterday and the blighters are back today.
They always seem to appear underneath one of our girls egg, no others so I'm wondering if they are living on her and not in the house as I can't find anywhere that they are living.

Any thoughts?

desandchez

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 15:10 »
Hi
poultry shield can take up to 48 hrs to kill red mite, make sure you dust your girls with red mite powder, the easiest way is to put some powder in an old pillow case the lower the chicken in feet first with just the head sticking out, then give them a gentle rock n roll to get the dust all over them then sprinkle some on there nesting material. make sure you are diluting poultry shield correctly

LadyPluck

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 19:03 »
make sure you dust your girls with red mite powder, the easiest way is to put some powder in an old pillow case the lower the chicken in feet first with just the head sticking out, then give them a gentle rock n roll to get the dust all over them

What a brilliant idea!

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:38 »
That's a brilliant idea regarding the pillowcase! I will be trying that one  :) Does anyone prefer any specific powder for their girlies body application such as Diatom?

Jan.x

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:51 »
Be mindful that the proper way to apply Daitom (DE) is to ensure that the powder is applied right to the base of the wing shafts, and thouroughly around the vent and under the wings. :)

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 10:57 »
When we had mites the poultry shield needed applying weekly for 4 weeks before we got rid.  Put Diatom powder in there too, and once rid of them use diatom after each clean out to keep them at bay.
They will probably be under the eggs as they will be attracted to the warmth.  Clean everything out really thouroughly and dismantle bits that you can easily dismantle, check all the nooks and crannies.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

interlocutor

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 20:19 »
We used a blow-torch ( carefully ) went all over twice followed by a good dousing with poultry shield, that got most of the B !! but still have a few more.

We are also using diatom powder in the nesting boxes and on the perches.

I think you have to be really  thorough  to keep on top of it.

Red mite will kill chickens if it isn't kept under control, best of luck.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 11:34 »
just come across this in Smallholding Mag. A Vets reply to a serious infestatio.

" with a serious problem I would suggest using "Eprinex" ( cattle pour on ) and put 5 drops in a laboritory pipette on the skin of each burd, repeated in 4 weeks. Your Vet will get this for you and you may have to sign a disclaimer as it is not licensed for poultry. Dont eat the eggs for 7 days after treatment. "

Alby
wish I was a cat

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 13:07 »
just come across this in Smallholding Mag. A Vets reply to a serious infestatio.

" with a serious problem I would suggest using "Eprinex" ( cattle pour on ) and put 5 drops in a laboritory pipette on the skin of each burd, repeated in 4 weeks. Your Vet will get this for you and you may have to sign a disclaimer as it is not licensed for poultry. Dont eat the eggs for 7 days after treatment. "

Alby

would work for mites/lice that live on the chook, not really suitable for red mite though :)

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 23:11
by agapanthus
xx
mites

Started by yacks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 14:17
by kimmcb
xx
mites....but not red!

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 11:41
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 37 queries.