Yolks and no shells

• 2 Replies

Alison_T

Yolks and no shells
« on: October 12, 2009, 19:38 »
Hello everyone,

I am glad to have found this forum, as it seems to provide a wealth of information for newbies like me.

I currently keep 15 chickens; 10 ducks; and one goose. About three months ago, I purchased two Welsummers which, according to the advert, were 11 months old and laying (I was shown eggs, but there were other birds on sale, too). To me, their combs didn't look a livid red, and sure enough, there were no eggs for a while. Then I got a few dark brown ones...and now, all I am getting are yolks or papery shelled eggs which the chickens devour.

I feed the birds organic layers pellets, with oyster grit, garden greens, cod liver oil, and Vermix vitamin supplements (now that the season has changed). They are all free-ranging, there are no poisonous plants in the garden and, touch wood, there has been no sickness.

So why am I getting my usual quota of eggs from the others (who are 'colour-coded' so I know who has lain) and not from these Welsummers?

Any suggestions would be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Alison

Vember

Re: Yolks and no shells
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 19:50 »
I had a welsummer cross a few years ago and she never laid  :ohmy:  :(

I have a duck here (Kate's Emily) who only ever lays softies, I think it's best to try adding some limestone powder to their feed to give them a calcium boost and see if that does the trick :)

Really rude question time  :blush: One Goose  :( Isn't he /she sad :( I know my Crumb was, they really need their own type for company :)

Sarah :)

Alison_T

Re: Yolks and no shells
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19 »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your response. It is rather odd that the Welsummers aren't laying, but I shall look out for the limestone powder, most definitely.

Re: the goose...well, we had two to begin with and unfortunately, Brenda contracted some nasty illness and died within three days despite mine and the vet's best ministrations. However, she appears to think she is a duck and runs with the flock very happily - especially when the drake is getting 'jiggy'! We did think she might pine at the loss of her sister, initially, but there has been zero evidence of this. Indeed, she is the healthiest looking bird we own!!

Not a rude question, at all - and thank you again for your response!

xx
Egg yolks

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 14:28
by Brambles
xx
3 yolks in my egg

Started by gladis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 21:54
by evie2
xx
White yolks

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 19:49
by azubah
question
WHITE EGG YOLKS!!!?

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:46
by joyfull

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 36 queries.