Regrowth Grass Problem (Help)

• 11 Replies

Divinity

Regrowth Grass Problem (Help)
« on: October 10, 2009, 15:34 »
I am preparing my plot which is in my own garden, it used to be heavily covered in thick grass similar to the grass you would find in country fields, the rough thick stuff.

I sprayed the grass with "Roundup" to kill it off, this only seemed to kill the surface, so i took up the grass and disposed of the roots over the back.

A few weeks later and fresh green grass is starting to sprout out of the soil, and i cant have this as i want my vegetables to grow where the grass is sprouting.

Does anyone know of a way i can kill off everything without damaging the soil? i plan to start planting around february, and this roundup may work but perhaps some expert advice is needed here, if possible any help would be greatly appreciated.  :blink:

Regards,

Divinity

Goosegirl

Re: Regrowth Grass Problem (Help)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 16:32 »
Weedol is ok for annual grass and cheaper than Roundup. What I think is happening is either the grass seeds in the soil from the grass you removed are germinating or there are perennial roots left - hopefully not couch grass! I used some field we bought for my veg area. I removed the turf and made raised beds so I didn't have the regrowth problem. I have a little patch in my flower garden where I lazily let some annual grass grow and the seedlings do keep coming but I have kept on weeding and they are getting less. Grass will grow at temperatures above 4 degrees (I think) so you will have plenty of chance to keep at it and remove as much root / seedlings as you can before Feb, then just keep hoiking it out - it will get less - honest!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

smurf

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 16:42 »
hi
if you dont want to use chemicals try covering the area with some carpet or something like to keep the light out, leave it covered for a couple of weeks or longer if you can then dig over again to get the roots out.

You can get roundup root killer and other nasties that would do the trick. I used to work on a golf course and you would be suprised what damage a little petrol spill would do to the grass and its roots but dont do your soil any good.

tode

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 19:45 »
Hi Divinity,

First thing you should do is dig up a few squares of grass, and see what the roots are like:
--- if they're just little bunches of fine roots, then you can either dig it in, or give another go with weedkiller.
--- if it has long stringy roots that spread, then you've still got something nasty like couch, and I would definitely give it a good dose of roundup before the weather gets too cold for take-up.
Good luck
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 21:13 by tode »

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 20:24 »
I would do what tode says, but after spraying, cover it over with thick black sheeting (or something similar) until February, so no daylight whatsoever penetrates.  That should really kill it.  I hope!!
Babs

tode

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 21:16 »
Babs, when using Roundup, it's important to let the weeds:grass grow well after vtreatment, so that the product gets taken down to roots. Once dead, yes, cover it up to stop seedlings growing     :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 21:49 »
Completely agree with tode. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

tode

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 23:20 »
Thank you Ice. Would you like some chocolate cake as well ?    :D

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 00:24 »
round up , if at correct mixture and sprayed on ,

not watering can ,

will take about 2-3 weeks to work ,

let it die off and dig out the dead grass and put in composting heap ,

there would be a few new shoots appearing ,

whack em again with the right mix of round up ,

spraying with round up makes the chemical stick to the grass leaves and is taken down to the roots,

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:42 »
It sounds like you haven't dug it. There will be weed seeds how ever many times you spray it, for seven years at least according to the lore. If you have good soil deep dig it burying the top 6" with some extra organic matter.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 14:47 »
The others are right - if it's normal grass it can be dug in or skimmed off and left to rot.

If it is couch grass with the tough long wiry roots, they will need digging out.  Turning the grass over and digging it 6" down will not kill it, just prolong its life  >:(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

tode

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 15:33 »
Right. Couch loves nothing better than an airing and a bit of "pruning"   >:(   >:(

xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe
xx
too much grass

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 21:43
by richyrich7
xx
Grass

Started by st0ne5ish on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 08:26
by Weston grower
xx
Grass

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 20:01
by greenjay

Page created in 0.842 seconds with 30 queries.