Five eggs!

• 5 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Five eggs!
« on: October 08, 2009, 16:25 »
I have had five eggs today.  Modest, I know, but I only have four hens!  How is this possible?  I thought it took a hen about 24 hours to brew up an egg?  And is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Vember

Re: Five eggs!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 17:23 »
It is possible to have a hen lay 2 in a day, the only time I have had this happen was with an old girl coming to the end of her laying life :(
My second was also a softie :(

So long as it doesn't happen too often she should be ok :)

Sarah :)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 20:24 »
Thanks for your reply Sarah.

I hope it's not a bad sign - my poor girls (ex batts) have only had a few months of freedom and I'm not really bothered about the eggs, it's a happy side effect of keeping chickens.

Hopefully, it was a one-off moment of madness!  :)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 20:28 »
If she's an ex batt then it may mean she's coming towards the end of laying :(
Doesn't mean the end the end though :)

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that it was just a blip :D

Sarah :)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 20:46 »
One of my ex-bats has done this on four occassions, she's still going strong though six months after i got her. The first is layed really early at 6am and the second last thing before lock up - she does it once a month roughly, I'm not sure why it happens, but she isnt suffering. I didnt get it last month though so i think the shorter days have halted it for her. She'll probably have stopped laying by spring as she lays daily so must be running out bless her, but she's happy and thats all that matters to me.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:17 »
Now you mention it Caralou...  I think we did have an early egg yesterday and the last one I found about half four so I guess it was the same girlie.

I have had one ex-batt, Mavis, who hasn't been well at all, eating and drinking, but not scratching around, just sitting hunched in a corner.  Been to the vets with her twice, been Baytril'd and Flubenvet'd but vet could find nothing specific wrong.  Having had a chat with the Battery Hen Welfare Trust, it could have been purely psychological.  Having said all that, she seems to be making a comeback and is out with the others now, trashing the garden all day.  I had thought that she would never lay as, until recently, we have only had three eggs at the most each day and recently we have been getting four, so I thought she might have started laying again.  Anyway, is it possible that, now she seems to be settling down and being a "normal" (ha ha) hen again, she is still getting back into the routine of laying and might lay irregularly for a while, i.e. the odd two eggs a day?

But as you say Caralou. as long as they're happy, I'm not really bothered, I was just interested that they can cook up another egg in just a few hours.  Impressive!

And Sarah - I panicked a bit when I saw your words "the end" and didn't register the "of laying" bit!  Duh!  I couldn't care less if they never lay another egg again - it's just lovely to see them out there, scratching up worms and seeing off the pigeons with the sun (sometimes) on their feathers...

Page created in 0.634 seconds with 31 queries.